Thread: Short battery life and audio issues.

Default Short battery life and audio issues.

Hey guys,

This is my first post on the forums so I'm sorry if this is the wrong section of the forum.

So I have a JVC 5 ccd Everio -blah blah blah, numbers- (I'll update the name of the camera later)
    I bought it on a whim without doing any research at all about two years ago. Basically, stupid mistake.

Anyway, its battery life is crap and it's an annoying issue because I can't always have an extension cord dragging behind me all the time (plus it's annoying having a cord).
    Is there a way I can buy extra batteries to carry around with me?

The audio issue I'm having is when I'm filming live bands, particularly loud bands it stops recording and it restarts so I miss about a minute of their sets. I record audio seperately so I don't mind missing the audio from the camera, but I DO mind missing film.

What do you suggest I do? I've tried turning off audio completely on the camera, but I can't.This is what my camera looks like. I'm entirely sure this is the same model because I think I've seen others.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bennybikerboy View Post
    Is there a way I can buy extra batteries to carry around with me?
    I'd be very surprised if you can't. Google "JVC battery <model no>" Beware third party batteries may have shorter life expectancy than originals, though will usually be much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by bennybikerboy View Post
    The audio issue I'm having is when I'm filming live bands, particularly loud bands it stops recording and it restarts so I miss about a minute of their sets. I record audio seperately so I don't mind missing the audio from the camera, but I DO mind missing film.
    I may be mistaken but I think I recall this coming up a couple of years back. Rather bizarrely the conclusion was that the vibrations caused by loud music caused the sensord in the hard disk mechanism to shut down the hard dribe in the mistaken belief that the camera had been dropped - a safety feature. As such, there's little you can do about it. Of course my memory migh be playing tricks. ...
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    ..bizarrely the conclusion was that the vibrations caused by loud music caused the sensord in the hard disk mechanism to shut down the hard dribe in the mistaken belief that the camera had been dropped - a safety feature....
    Absolutely correct
    ..As such, there's little you can do about it...
    Actually - there is on some models. Go through the menus and look for 'Drop Detection' and switch it off. This does help.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    Absolutely correct
    Well, apart from the typos I made!

Thanks for confirming that I'm not suffereing early onset Alzheimer's, Andy - and for the correction. I'm delighted JVC recognise that features, even "no brainer" features such as this might have side effects and offer the opportunity to disable them.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Well, apart from the typos I made!....
    I just assumed you were drunk senseless on Kate and Will's fever. For the record - I'm a grumpy sod and am avoiding TV at all costs tomorrow.

Back to the thread now....

I've tried turning off drop detection before, but it still shuts off.
    Rather annoying and disappointing.

I'll look up batteries. I guess I can buy a lot of them and carry them around. Sounds annoying.

Thanks for the replies!