Thread: AVCHD to DVD

Default AVCHD to DVD

Hi

A Newbie here.

I have a Canon AVCHD camcorder. I am using Cyberlink software on a Dell XPS 15 laptop to edit my footage and save to BluRay disk. I have no problems with any of this and the quality of the final output is as good as the original.

My problem comes when I attempt to down-convert my AVCHD video to DVD to share with friends. I fully accept that DVD is SD rather than HD but the quality loss I am getting seems excessive. I am definitely converting at the highest quality DVD settings. The picture is watchable but "uncomfortable" with loads of ghosting. I have tried Sony Vegas as well and experienced the same problems. Unfortunately the trial version of Nero prohibits test conversion from AVCHD to DVD so that's not going to be an option for me.

Video taken on my old standard definition DV camera is far superior than anything down-converted from the AVCHD format.

I know I can get better results because my wedding video was shot in AVCHD. We were given both BluRay and DVD disks and the quality of both is great. Unfortunately our video guy has moved on and we cannot contact him to find which software he used, but if anyone can suggest a better way of obtaining a quality DVD image, I'd be really grateful.

Many thanks.

Unfortunately the trial version of Nero prohibits test conversion from AVCHD to DVD so that's not going to be an option for me.
    Because it leaves a message on the video or simply does not let you try at all?

I have use ConvertXtoDVD before to convert HD to DVD and have had decent results. I know the software supports mts files, that would work for your right? It is shareware, but you can use the trial but with a watermark that appears + disappears. I use the registered version. Just don't burn the result if you don't want to waste a dvd if you use trial.