Thread: Advice needed on semi-professional camcorders..

Default Advice needed on semi-professional camcorders..

I am just starting out in my new business venture which includes filming of weddings & doing videos of local bands... I have a chance to film a live gig in a few weeks but haven't found a decent budget camcorder for the job.. What semi-professional camcorder could I get with a budget of around £750-£800?
    I was looking at the Panasonic HDC-MDH1 Panasonic HDC-MDH1 HD Camcorder (PAL, Black - PAL) @ Fizi.com - Your Global Digital Supermarket - Worldwide Delivery and Unbeatable Prices which the Money Supermarket Club found for me but the sites that sell it ship from Hong Kong plus shops that I have phoned have never heard of it before... I'm confused & in need of some advice. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by weeal77 View Post
    I am just starting out in my new business venture which includes filming of weddings & doing videos of local bands... I have a chance to film a live gig in a few weeks but haven't found a decent budget camcorder for the job.. What semi-professional camcorder could I get with a budget of around £750-£800?
    I was looking at the Panasonic HDC-MDH1 Panasonic HDC-MDH1 HD Camcorder (PAL, Black - PAL) @ Fizi.com - Your Global Digital Supermarket - Worldwide Delivery and Unbeatable Prices which the Money Supermarket Club found for me but the sites that sell it ship from Hong Kong plus shops that I have phoned have never heard of it before... I'm confused & in need of some advice. Cheers
    Hi Weeal77

I think you would hard pushed to find a decent semi-pro camcorder for less than £1000 for the features a pro would need. I have not seen the Panasonic HDC-MDH1 HD around before, so could not comment on the image/sound quality etc of it. One notable feature I could not see on the camera you mentioned was the inclusion of XLR sockets. As you become more competent with your camcorder, you will want to record better audio, and as a professional, you will need XLR inputs. The camera you mentioned does not have that. Correct me if I am wrong of course.

If you are going to do this as a profession, you are probably going to have to to spend a little more than £800 to get a decent semi pro model. You are probably looking over the £1500 mark if you are wanting to sell video's. When a client pays, they expect the best and that includes all aspects of the production (Video, Audio and Editing), so make sure you have the gear to do that. You don't want bad reviews from the off!

I know its a long way from your price range, but have a look at the Canon XhA1. The price is quite off putting, but you will get a general feel of the features you need to look out for.
    Canon XH A1s High Definition Camcorder | New Wave TV

Also, don't forget, you will need to invest in a decent microphone. Look at Sennheiser, as I have had the best results from those, particularly the radio microphones.

I hope that helps.

Regards
    Andrew

There is a Panasonic HVX200 on sales on this site HERE If it's in full working order it's a real bargain at just £1,000. I'm not selling it and have no connection with the seller. I do have this camera and love it.

thanks andrew, I had a look at this canon and it is expensive as you said. This is something that I will keep in mind for spec comparison. yeah ur right about missing XLR port. I was also thinking about SONY HDR-FX1E CAMCORDER 3CCD 1080i PAL UK/EU. cheers for ur advice much appreciated.

cheers midnight I'll have a look