Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digiridoo. Comedy short.

Cool Digiridoo. Comedy short.

Had this idea baking in my head for ages, finally managed to film it the other day.

I watched it twice and laughed both times. Nice one Matt.

Blog Entries

Very, very good. A great return to form.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Very, very good. A great return to form.
    Aww, when did I go downhill?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clay_9 View Post
    Aww, when did I go downhill?
    I'm tempted to say when you hired a bunch of amateurs to film landscapes and scenery around the country
    In all seriousness I don't know what it is but this one just seemed funnier and lighter - perhaps it's less introspective than some of the recent films.

It's a simple gag based on the absurd - in the classic tradition of the Goons, Python etc. Take an everyday situation (in this case a busker) and put it into an unusual situation and see what happens. The situation doesn't reveal itself until you take out the coin and put it into the busker's hat, so what originally appears to the viewer as just bizarre, suddenly makes perfect sense - even though the situation is still absurd. Returning to fnd the drummer setting up was a nice way to get a punchline after the main gag and the icing on the cake. (By the way i thought your supporting cast were superb).

OK. So I think I over-analysed that somewhat

Compare this to your dramatic reading. Yes, it's funny, and you do a lot to keep the interest with some great location shots and facial expressions, but the gag is revealed from the off and the viewer isn't really rewarded for sitting through all of it - 90% of the reward can be got by watching just the first 10 seconds.

And I may have just over-analysed that as well.
    Tim

Actually you make a very good point, I like this myself for it being short and 'easy'. The dram reading does go on a bit based on the same joke.

I know what you mean, thanks, encourages me to keep things fresh.

Short and sweet. Your best so far imo.

8. Default

I enjoyed that. Very good.

I would say, I think you could have made more of the whole 'busker' thing. I don't think an audience would connect someone playing an instrument with that someone being a busker. It would have been nice, perhaps, to have mentioned that when he is first introduced.

"There's a strange man in our house playing a Digiridoo!"

"It's OK, it's just a busker."

"Busker? Well how do I get rid of it?"

"Just leave it alone, it's not done you any harm. Open a window for it."

"Perhaps if I hit it with this newspaper?"

"Well, if you want it to sting you."

It's only a minor thing though. I thought it was a great short, fantastic ending

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steve_mellor View Post
    I would say, I think you could have made more of the whole 'busker' thing. I don't think an audience would connect someone playing an instrument with that someone being a busker. It would have been nice, perhaps, to have mentioned that when he is first introduced.
    I have to say I disagree entirely, Steve. The fact that he is not revealed as a busker until much later in the film is what makes the story work. We dont know why he's there - and this is what creates the intrigue. If we know from the outset that he is a busker, then, whilst it's still quite funny, it's not nearly as funny as discovering it later: the later discovery "makes sense" of the situattion, but them we immediately realise it's still absurd.

I have to say though that I do rather like your treating the busker like an annoying insect also has great potential - though perhaps this would be more suitable for "Chuggers" than buskers?
    Tim

I like the idea of getting rid of 'it' like you would a fly or something, but on reflection I still think the simplicity of it works the best.

This video has been a strange one for me, normally when I create an idea in my head I can always tell it's funny and that stays with me through filming and edit. But for some reason although I did think the initial idea was good, in the edit I wasn't sure how strong it was.

It's just strange that one of the only videos ive had to question myself 'how funny is this?' has had pretty much the best response from the broadest spectrum of people. Interesting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast