Thread: Sony Vegas Pro 10 Editing Help

Default Sony Vegas Pro 10 Editing Help

Hello everyone,

I'm quite new to film making although my friend isn't. After looking around a lot we decided to go for Sony Vegas Pro 10 as before we were using serif x5 but found it just wasnt what we were looking for.
    Using Sony Vegas we're trying to create music videos with a professional look and feel.

I just invested in a 700 Panasonic SD HD700 , which has amazed me in the HD quality it comes up with for it's price.I would actually say it's just as good as a professional Sony Z1 and looking at the quality (as i shot on a z1) I see no difference.

Basically now myself and my friend (my friend edits videos) have started using Vegas to edit my music videos and I just wanted some advice/help from you guys.

(1) Talking to TV Companies as we want to send our music video out, they said that Sony Vegas Pro 10 you can't edit scopes or gamma rays, luma etc and the software is extremely basic..it isn't a broadcast quality TV Software..my friend who edits videos says theres many scopes and this is far from the truth..what is your opinions on it?

(2) We are currently editing some footage for the music video and people have said the video looks amazing..but it looks too 'clean' and the footage too 'raw'..obviously i sent my friend some tutorials on the 'film look' off youtube. But apart from this can you guys recommend anything else which can give it that movie look/feel ? We used profiessional lighting on all shots too (as my friend said it needed this)

(3) Can you guys recommend any sites for transactions and effects for the software or really good tutorials for newbies to Vegas Pro 10?

Thanks..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrownGuy View Post
    (1) Talking to TV Companies as we want to send our music video out, they said that Sony Vegas Pro 10 you can't edit scopes or gamma rays, luma etc and the software is extremely basic..it isn't a broadcast quality TV Software..my friend who edits videos says theres many scopes and this is far from the truth..what is your opinions on it?
    Whilst we wait for someone with the technical know how to come up with the specifics, Sony Vegas Pro is perfectly capable of editing broadcast quality video. Your problem is that your camera does not capture broadcast quality video.(I think)
    Last edited by TimStannard; 04-22-2011 at 05:41 PM.
    Tim

Well I looked into the Pansonic SD HD700 before I purchased it and at one point it was and still is on some sites 930. It is a HD1080P Camera with 3MOS Sensor, which is only 1 less sensor from the Sony Z1. Like I said on actual rendering or looking at the files they are exactly the same quality as the Z1 so I really don't feel the issues of that are the case.
    However I get what your saying, but I've spoken to people who have the Z1 and the Canon's and theyve said this is a good video camera. Panasonic are meant to be the best for video.

There is more to Broadcast then chips and resolutions, there is colour space eg, your camera is probably 4:2:0, where as pro tends to be 4:2:2 and full 4:4:4, then there are lenses, they can be more expensive then the camera, and then there is the bit rate, pro tends to be 50Mb/s or more.

Having said that content is king

Yeah i understand what your saying and i have no idea what they are for my camera..but i now resolution and lens are available for it..

But am asking about effects mainly lol as per the original question

I think if you ask someone(mainly using Final Cut), they'll tend to lean on there program more then others, especialy if your telling them your not sure about the program you have.
    Just like camcorders, I can tell you why you should buy the camcorder that I have, but you can ask TimStannard and Z Cheema and they might refure you to something else.

I've messed with Final Cut Pro, and it's an awsome program. But I haven't seen anything there that I can't do on Vegas Pro 10. Even with Apple Color, a really cool add-on program for Final Cut, I really liked it.

Maybe I'll switch to Apple some day since its an industry standard, but for now, I feel I can do the same exact project in Vegas, even faster.
    Rendering Codecs are pretty much the same, just need to know what each thing means. It has all the Video Scopes you need.

In the US, broadcast quality is now HDTV.

CHECK THIS POST OUT ON BROADCAST RENDERING. This guy is running Sony Vegas 9.
    CreativeCOW

Default Video quality Pana v. Z1 (( Chips and Resolution))

as others have suggested Content is King, so any excuses saying the quality isn't good enough are really saying "the content..."

The Pana consumer cameras represent good value for money, but they do lack some features that separate them from Money-earning kit, like the Z1 (mentioned earlier).
    The Z1 has decent audio connectors and will feed a separate monitor. Add in the ability to record to a memory card (after buying an expensive accessory) - means that the Pana is really left out in the cold.
    The attraction of 3-CMOS is really a techno-wheeze to get round the fact the sensors are so tiny. Only with large sensors can you get quality shots in dark situations. Bands, groups and other staged events are notoriously dark, despite expensive lights. The ability to get a decent shot using the Z1 is relatively easy (Once you've mastered the prolonged setting-up routine).

The Pana with a sturdy tripod and some inginuity should be capable of making interesting movies - but I guess you gets what you pay for. Maybe it's just too good to be true....
    Incidently the Z1 has an Achilies Heel - that is uses Tape and has a wearing-drum. Nothing wrong in that, but something to watch when buying s/h.

8. Default

For Effects and Colour corrections get NewBlue and Magic Bullet Looks Suite