Thread: Anyone using Mainconcept MPEG Pro to edit MPEGs?

Default Anyone using Mainconcept MPEG Pro to edit MPEGs?

I'm currently using this to edits mpeg-1s in PPro 1.5 - while it seems to be working, I'm still having a few problems. I had a few clips in there where the audio and video sync fine, but then I imported another audio file and came in slower than it should and also put the mpeg-1 audio and video out of sync, which screwed up my otherwise good work. They were, however, different sample rates and bit depths; not sure if thats what the problem is, since they get converted to the preset anyway.

Also, I still cannot render any clips, I get an error where PPro has to shut down - but I can export the entire movie fine (its only about 2:00 so far).
    any help would be appreciated.

- Derek

Windows XP Pro sp1
    Athlon XP 2500+
    768 mb ram
    80gb WD hard drive (8mb buffer)
    ATI Radeon ve7200
    Digidesign DIGI002 w/ Pro Tools 6.4

From your spec as listed I would investigate your HDD space. you only list one HDD in your spec. Premiere Pro very much likes tohave it's scratch disk on a different drive to the s/w.

Also, how much actual free diskspace do you have and how well is it defragged. Premiere has proved very fussy about such things before now.

Also, I'm not sure the 'confirming' of the audio files is instantaneous. I might be dreaming here or remembering a possible future enhancement but the conforming just may not have caught up yet.

Thanks for the reply - Yes, I'm on one drive at the moment, but will purchase another soon. I was just looking at the Mainconcept user forum and it seems there some pretty significant bugs with their plugin - lets hope theres an update soon. I will try perhaps converting every audio file I wish to import into the same as the preset's - 48 khz 16-bit I think.

- Derek

Quote Originally Posted by DerekaM
    I will try perhaps converting every audio file I wish to import into the same as the preset's - 48 khz 16-bit I think.
    Probably very wise. make sure your comparing apples with apples so to speak. Let us know hwo it all goes ok?

Well, I have decided to abandon the mainconcept plugin for now, until they have an update that I can use at least. I went ahead and converted all of my mpeg-1s to AVIs using VirtualDub and the Huffyuv codec and I'm now working in PPro without any problems. Since my source clipsí audio is 32 khz 16-bit, Iím sticking with that for all audio for my first project. I also have another Hard Drive on it its way and did a defrag and cleanup of my current primary drive. So now I can get to work on my first project in Premiere (or any other video editing sw for that matter). Iím an audio guy that produces music now and then, but Iíve developed more of an interest in the visual side of things lately, and so goes my endeavor into video. Iíll share my little project once Iíve figured things out, etc. Thank you Alan for your advice.

Derek

Blog Entries

Looking forward to seeing your videos in the "user videos" forum...