Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many people here have joined the IOV?

Default How many people here have joined the IOV?

Just curious. I am thinking to join them but don't know if it would be a waste of money.

Anyone did join them?

Thanks.

It depends what you want from it. I've been a member for a year now and found the Video Skills test that they have to be useful and fun to do. I think being a member it adds credibility to your company from the point of view of the public.

They have quarterly local meetings where you can catch up on this and that or be educated on things etc. It's sometimes nice just to be around people in the same industry where you can freely talk with others of a like mind. Also their website has some interesting and useful items, including a very good forum where the more experienced are happy to offer advice.

Like most groups you tend to get out of it what you put in to it. I know of a handful of this forum who are also members but this forum is for a wider spectrum of the video world everything from very beginners, to enthusiastic armatures, to seasoned professionals and all points in between.

I was a member for a few years, qualifying to Master Member status. By having your work assessed in order to obtain MM you quickly realise your skill level isn't as good as your mom and your mates think.
    It's easy to be self deluded comparing your own work with other online videos and rubbishing their choice of filming/shot/music, but for situations where real control is needed full manual control of your camera is essential and the assessments point out the lack of this and many other aspects of production which does help lift your game.
    Having said that, if you're brutally honest with yourself, and self disciplined enough, you will be able to recognise these same poor techniques in your own work yourself.
    Networking is also good, but no better than any other on-line forum where tips/jobs/crew regularly crop up. The only difference is, the members (qualified) are a known quality, though this is easily recognised once you know what you're looking for.
    The IOV show - always a good meeting point, though that's all as new kit is always online before these shows hit the road and hands on/one to one demos can be had at all dealers without the crowd control needed at shows.
    Qualifications? - Good for self worth but not worth a wink to clients.

So, you pay your money and give it a whirl, I just have other things to do with my money and boosting the bank accounts of IOV staff isn't one of them.
    Last edited by Zero; 05-13-2011 at 09:04 AM.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Don`t Bother joining a made up certification body like the IOV

Anyone could start one of those cowboy outfits.

A couple of retired oldies trying to tell you your work is any good in their eyes.

Does not mean anything.

If you know your work is any good why have some has-been amateur tell you any different.

Also don`t bother joining any of the sites that offer you 6 figure salarys in this business. If your a One man Band. It will never happen!

Market yourself the way you think is best.

These sites that offer you the information to gain your riches are obviously not busy themselves.
    Why else would they have the time and put the effort into doing these sites if their in a very busy video business.

Their just after your money and trying to sell you a dream that will never happen.
    Last edited by andymchere; 05-13-2011 at 09:39 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andymchere View Post
    Trolling Reply
    I advise other members to not rise to this trolls posts. He'll soon get bored if he's ignored. Cocks like him always do in the end.

You are obviously one of the so called site owners.

Why are you being so rude and unprofessional..... Sorry just realised your an amateur

These are realistic honest quotes.

Blog Entries

My last reply to you.

I am not a site owner. My opinions are as valid as you think yours are. You purposefully have set out to incite arguments and I have seen many trollers like you come and go when you get bored or are banned. I won't waste any more energy on you.

My advice stands to others. Please don't rise to this posters 'contributions'.

Let people make there own mind up.... and stop being unprofessional and rude.

9. Default

I'm with you andy. I consider forums which are open to public subscription are for the purpose of discussion and debate. There seem to be many which have long standing members who consider it to be a club for like-minded mates. They enthusiastically support their online mates but try to close down any contributions they don't like.

If you don't agree with an opinion state your argument against and open the debate but just calling someone a troll and and a cock and being rude get us nowhere.

(expecting to be banned now)

Blog Entries

Well I'd prefer members who contribute positively and helpfully rather than striding in and slagging off the IOV, the site owner, other members, saying it's a site full of amateurs, complaining the site is a waste of time but then coming back anyway to feed on his responses.

But maybe it's just me eh.

Just in case anyone missed it -

Quote Originally Posted by andymchere View Post
    Im a full time video professional with over 25yrs experience.

Just noticed the whole forum digital director is run by an amateur enthusiast.

What a waste of time

Im out of here
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 05-13-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast