Thread: Can anyone help clean up an audio file to be used in court?!?

Default Can anyone help clean up an audio file to be used in court?!?

Hi everyone,
    I have a voice recording with a good bit of background noise and I really need it cleaned up. It is a file I need to play in a courtroom, so this is important. I have tried to clean it up with Audacity myself, but I am quite the novice and the results were poor. Would anyone who has some skill with audio editing software like to give it a shot?
    I appreciate any help!

If you post a small sample of the audio, so we can see how bad it is, that might help us to assess it to see how fixable it is.

Attorney Sound.mp3

Attached is the entire sound file (it's only a couple of minutes long) so you can see the quality. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks so much for your time!

I think it will be hard to clean this. Background sound is pretty noisy and main voice isnt really clear.
    But maybe someone from this forum can help you.

I've had a go but with the tool I have I couldn't pull the voices out of the background enough to hear them. Sorry.

Before anything else, I might immediately use EQ to remove all frequencies below, say 200Htz. That is around the lower end of frequencies which voices might use; so removing them will not affect the voices; only remove the rubbish in the bass.

San Diego, Ca, USA

This is the best I could do without distorting it to much. Might crack on some speakers.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks so much for your help, guys (especially Solo). The clean up was good enough for what I needed it for. Much appreciated!