Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day trip to the Isle of Wight

Cool Day trip to the Isle of Wight

Hi all,

My documentary has been taking up a lot of my spare time, so I haven't been on here as much as I'd like recently. With school holidays upon us, I decided to take the kids on a day trip to the beautiful Isle of Wight last week.

What I didn't take was my tripod or steady-cam; a mistake that I won't be repeating on my trip to West Wittering today! Some of the camera work is shakey as a result, but if you can get over that, I'd be grateful if you could give me your thoughts on this video.

Also, I was pointing and shooting using automatic white balance, and in retrospect, a manual white balance each time would have been better. Difficult to look after two kids, and film!

Hi Mike, Well you ticked most of the boxes when documenting a day out like this. It showed a good narrative, Good variety of shots. I thought it was paced well along with the music. By the way, what was the music ? It could have been better in places but it could have also been a lot worse. One tip if you don't have a tripod you could find something to lean on or even put the camera on a wall or the ground for shots like @ 2:05, the D Day thing looks bad when your trying to read and the cameras wobbly.

One thing you could try in the editing chair is to balance the clips with some correction example on the beach @2:35, chasing the ball. It's a bit over exposed and blueish. but the next clip you cut to is better white balance and exposure. When you have similar related clips it's more important to balance them with each other.

Any way it's better than the day out I shot yesterday.

Hi Midnight,

Thanks very much for your comments.

I do have a tripod, but I foolishly left it at home that day, and the results are there for all to see. I agree with you 100% on the D-Day plaque. Annoying!

I don't actually know how to 'do' colour correction, so I may well invest some time in learning that.

Is your day out on here yet? I'm off to look

Thanks again for the feedback!

Mike

Colour correction can hide a great many sins. I've only really started using it my self recently. I wasn't going to post my day out because I only used my old GS200 (not a Suzuki motor bike) Panasonic camera. BUT because you were brave enough to post yours, I'll post mine.

Blog Entries

I thought I'd take a look and compare this to one I made back in 2005 of a day trip to the island, when I first got a camcorder. I think the content of mine is more varied (we went down to join my wife's parents and her children in their caravan so there was much more scope), but the quality of the footage was nowhere near as good as yours and I hadn't edited nearly harshly enough. I think you've done an excellent job here.

I really wouldn't sweat the tripod issue - the shots were steady enough for the content - in fact a bit of wobble gives it intimacy. This is a family day out, not a filming excursion. If you want to keep Mrs TV sweet I wouldn't consider it. The only thing that jumped out at me because you didn't have a tripod was that you didn't take care to keep the verticals verical in all the shots - although thankfully most of those where saw the sea did have a horizontal horizon.

For a cheap and unobtrusive means of steadying the camera when a tripod isn't an option, get yourself a bean bag. I've got a "pod" (Jessops - The Pod - Camera Support - Jessops - Table Top Tripods) which is basically a bean bag with a little threaded bit to screw into your camera, but to be honest I miht as well have saved the money and just used any old bean bag. All you need is a surface of some sort (it doesn't need to be level - the bean bag sorts that out) and you've got a steady shot. Actually i do find the bag with the thread useful - it adds weight and therefore helps steady had-held shots as well.
    Tim

Thanks for your comments, Tim.

I am really excited about the bean bag tip, thanks a million. It seems like one of those really obvious ideas that I should have thought of myself, but didn't!

How wise of you to pick up on the 'keeping the Mrs sweet' angle as well I think I got away with so much filming relatively pain-free because she was supposed to be at work that day, and so spent hours glued to her iPhone. Had I had the tripod, with the requisite set up times, I may not have enjoyed such a smooth ride. The only thing with that, is you obviously have to have something to rest the tripod on, and there was nothing in front of the D-Day memorial that would have helped. That said, there was a great deal of situations that the beanbag would have helped in, so thanks a million for the tip.

I really did take care to keep the horizons straight, and I know I failed on a few occasions. I find it really difficult to gauge 100% straightness, even with a tripod to be honest.

Thanks again for your comments. As always, they are appreciated. Do you have a link to your 2005 day out I could look at?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTV View Post
    I really did take care to keep the horizons straight, and I know I failed on a few occasions. I find it really difficult to gauge 100% straightness, even with a tripod to be honest.
    Usually the head on a tripod will have a level. Perhaps the reason i was drawn to your lack of level was the very opening shot is a good few degree out - and first impressions last. When i'm without a tripod, what I try to do is find a vertical near the edge of my shot and line the vertical edge of my viewfinder up with that. Then I simply turn slightly left or right to reframe my shot as desired. I find this much easier than trying to align a horizontal. Also verticals are more reliable - at least if you have buildings or other man made objects nearby - unless you are tilting the camera up of down, verticals are always vertical (perspective doesn't affect it).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTV View Post
    Do you have a link to your 2005 day out I could look at?
    I did consider posting some of my IOW visit, but I really wouldn't want to be guilty of causing death by boredom.
    Tim

Tim, I'm sure it isn't boring ... come on!

Midnight, your link is telling me your video is private, you big tease!

Blog Entries

You know what - who cares about (almost) any technical aspects. It's a lovely family portrait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast