Thread: I did my first Special FX vid!

Default I did my first Special FX vid!

Hello all!

OK, nothing supernatural about it.....it is just a vid of me cloned 5 times. This was the first time doing it since learning the basic principles behind it online somewhere. I made the mistake of placing "myself" too close to one another at first, resulting in a lot of overlap. I re-shot the parts with me apart more, and with little masking and layering.....lo and behold.....MAGIC!

Here it is:

Thanks in advance for watching.

J I N X

Blog Entries

Nicely done. I'm pleased to see you took trouble to choreographed it rather than just stand there and sing.

From a technical viewpoit, as you'e no doubt noticed, the shadow of the 2nd Jinx from the left is cut off by the masking - need to check shadows next time.
    It didn't look to me like you were singing - more like lip syncing. When you do this again actually sing rather than mouth - it looks more realistic (it's possible you did but YouTube has lost te sync a bit).

Now you've got a good grasp of the technique, I think you need to be a bit more amitious for your next effort. This was OK, but just watching five blokes there singing (albeit with some interaction) loses interest after about 45 secs, so you need to think about introducing some other elements to make a truly watchable video.

Loved the singing: great how your voice blens with - your voice!
    Tim

I found this very entertaining. I thought you did a great job with the vocals and I really liked the interaction and choreographed movement. To get the timing right on this is not easy but you did really well pulling it off a good example is @ around 25 seconds.

The main thing for me isn't the technical side of the masking etc. You simply made an entertaining, feel good video that made me smile, that for me ticks the most important box.

Thanks for posting.

I even like reading the tee shirts.

I really enjoyed that!

Great singing and I also like the way you move and how you look happy It makes me happy too.
    New level of acapela covers
    Good work!

Default Thank you to all...you're very kind!

Thanks to all of you. I really appreciate your kind words and advice as well. I had just gotten a new DSLR and I wanted to try out its video capabilities. As you all know, DSLRs are becoming a very popular tool for shooting videos that are at least almost as good as expensive film cameras that cinematographers use. Thought I'd experiment with it and try the cloning effect on my video editor......and I though hey, why not have fun with it!n

I have to say, shooting and editing is very addictive....especially when you edit the footage and somehow are able to tell a story and get the audience to feel certain emotions just by the way footage is edited. I can't wait to shoot more stuff....I just need to get more free time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dongggoi View Post
    I have to say, shooting and editing is very addictive....
    Don't do it. It's a slippery slope. Many of us have travelled that road and we're now just stuck here reviewing videos in the hope that some day someone will develope a twelve point plan...
    Tim

I also enjoyed this video, and I also noticed the few flaws as previously stated by others above. All-in-all I enjoyed it, and if that's actually you singing, good on you, you have a great voice. The only way I could make it through this video is by reading the comments while I listened to the music. Making a full on video of yourself and interactions between the clones would be cool. Each clone could play an individual part, I'd definitely be interested to see it!