Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D video-editing with Sony HDR-TD 10

Default 3D video-editing with Sony HDR-TD 10

Hi all,

I have ordered a brand new Sony HDR-TD 10 3D-Camcorder, and also a new PC with a GeForce GTX 560Ti graphics card and a 3D LG Full HD monitor (23 inch).

I just wonder how to edit 3D with SONY VEGAS on my PC?

Does someone know, if the Nvidia 3D Vision Kit (non PRO version) would work?
    NVIDIA 3D Vision

As the pro version would also need a quattro nVidia card...

Thanks in advance,
    Dary

I don't know. And I would be very interested in knowing the answer.

A recent thread at Adobe Forums: Support for 3D .MTS AVCHD files encoded... suggests that neither Adobe Premiere or Sony's Vegas can currently handle the MVC (Multiview Video Coding) format. Although the HDR-TD10 is able to record two channels (at 1920*1080), some video editing software might only import one of the two channels. The thread also quotes a Sony rep who said the "camera should be for fun", and not for serious editing. What a nuisance!

My preference would be to find a basic program which can split the original MVC file into two separate video files; then load both files into your preferred Video editing software. There are several ways that 3d video can be displayed. What method were you aiming to use?

Don't worry about the 3D MVC files, these can be handled in Vegas 10d which will be released this month.
    Stereoscopic 3D | Sony Vegas Pro 10 3D Blu-ray Support & Amazing Amazon Offer | Enhanced Dimensions

But back to my main question... who is using vegas and knows if the 3D Vision Kit (non PRO) is working?

Best regards,
    Dary

use the red/cyan to edit if no 3d screen available and then render in any format when ready

I've been editing 3D in Vegas for 13 months and am really excited about 10.0d.

The setup I currently use is a i7 w/12 GB & a GTX460 connected via HDMI 1.4 to a 55" Sony 3DTV. I'm using NVidia's 3DPlay, which allows me to preview the output using the TV's 3D glasses in Side by Side mode. Vegas supports a lot of 3D preview modes; you can select the one you want in project properties.

3D support was added in 10 and was pretty simple. You'd add both video streams to the timeline, highlight them, and select "pair as 3D subclip." To adjust the 3D effect, you'd apply the Stereoscopic FX to the combined clip. Pretty simple.

The exciting thing about 10.0d is the addition of MVC support. I beta tested NetBlender's DoStudio last fall, which to date is one of the only programs with MVC encoding. It is a $6000 program. The idea that Vegas will add support for free in a week or so is mind-blowing.

That said, I haven't heard any reports on the new HDR-TD10 that confirm the version of MVC it is using is the same as the industry standard codec. I assume it is, but you know what they say about assumptions.

Without getting too long winded (too late), let me just say that editing 3D a year ago was painful, time-consuming, and extraordinarilly difficult. I'm looking forward to it being much less so.

JET

Quote Originally Posted by Dary View Post
    Don't worry about the 3D MVC files, these can be handled in Vegas 10d which will be released this month.
    Stereoscopic 3D | Sony Vegas Pro 10 3D Blu-ray Support & Amazing Amazon Offer | Enhanced Dimensions

But back to my main question... who is using vegas and knows if the 3D Vision Kit (non PRO) is working?

Best regards,
    Dary

Hi, I've just bought a Sony HD3D and now I am struggling to find an editing solution. I've read here that the Vegas 10.0d will edit 3D video - is that true? Of course, it has to be on a PC. My other question is as I use a Mac, if I use the Vegas software to extract Left and Right images, how can I make these files compatible with a non-linear editing program like Final Cut Pro that I can use on my Mac?

The more budget Sony Vegas Movie Studio 11HD will do 3D now

Default Sony 3D camcorder editing and uploading to Youtube

We have been testing Sony 3D camcorder HDR-TD10, importing it to Sony Vegas Pro 10.0d and editing and publishing it on Youtube 3D channel and DVD.

Here is an example (for testing only): "Tree HD 3D"

You can use blue-red glasses to watch it on non-S3D monitor/TV.

If you have a 3D smart TV, .e.g LG 55LW6500 3D passive TV, you can launch Youtube and search "Tree HD 3D". The TV will automatically play it on HD. The video quality is above average, but still no comparison with professional 3D imax blu ray discs. We are still experimenting different 3D file formats.

Our new 3D video made with Sony HDR TD-10 and Sony Vegas Pro 10.0e.

Thanks for posting the clip. I appreciate that you did not ask for comments, but that won't stop me
    Generally, the 3d looked good. But not always a good choice of shots.
    1) Use a tripod. Some of the shots looked very unstready.
    2) To display pretty 3d images, the scene must contain 3d objects. e.g. the wall at 0:44 (or the building at 0:15) lie in almost the same plane; so the whole image "appears" at the same distance.

My fave scene were the computer wires, marred only by a shaky camera operator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast