Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fountain

Default Fountain

This is a short experimental piece of a fountain.

Last edited by Midnight Blue; 04-21-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Fascinating. Interesting colour choices gave it an autumnul feel but the metal fountain (which was probably plastic) made it tend towards rust.
    Some of it seemed a bit too slowed down in that it seemed like a bit of a very fast slide show of stills dissolved into each other (I'm not talking about the bit where this was intentional), and this in itself was a rather strange effect.

I'd love to see a version with the technical details overlaid.
    Tim

I wish I had a really fast frame rate camera, some of the shots would have been better. You mentioned "interesting colour choices" as if I'd done some sort of colour correction on it. The colours you see is what came from the camera. This video is not about the technical side of video making, it's all about the aesthetics the way the light interplays with the water and the shapes the water makes etc.

Thank you for watching.

nice arty piece, I like the stop motion kind of effect you had going on there, but what I was really impressed with was the choice of music, the way you edited the visuals to the music made it seem like it was scored to the video afterwards. Thats the power of video editing.

Quote Originally Posted by martchap View Post
    Thats the power of video editing.
    Actually on this occasion it was the power of scoring to the visuals. Well kind of. It's just and old piece of mine that I chopped up and added a ton of echo. BUT thanks for thinking I'm better than I am at editing.

it's a bit of both I suppose then, but it works either way!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    You mentioned "interesting colour choices" as if I'd done some sort of colour correction on it.
    You sound as if you'd taken my comments as negative - that wasn't my intent - far from it.

I deliberately chose those words because I wasn't sure whether you'd done any cc in post . Wouldn't you agree that the colours are not ones we normally associate with water? Other than perhaps in autumnal shots where the leaves are reflecting off them. That's what I thought made it interesting.

This video is not about the technical side of video making, it's all about the aesthetics the way the light interplays with the water and the shapes the water makes etc.
    I think anything that moves away from a real-time straight shot can't help but become at least partly about the technical side as it immediately draws attention to the fact that we are watching a film rather than something in real life. It doesn't make the result any less artistically or aesthetically interesting (or scientifically if you're making that sort of film).

The reason I said I'd love to see the technical details wasn't because I thought the film was intended to demonstrate it, but because I was interested in what sort of seeting one might use to achieve those looks.
    Tim

I would never take anything you say negatively, well unless you call fat bastard.

Because I know how mundane it is, I think the explanation takes away from the aesthetics a bit like when you have to explain a joke, it's just not funny anymore. BUT as it's you I will cover the details. First the post treatment was just a little contrast adjustment on a couple of clips to balance them (using colour curves). All the clips where adjusted in the properties to 0.25 frame rate. Then some of them slowed further to around 80 - 50% with the velocity curve and the one with the drops was 10%.

Not my secret of the colour. I have just cleaned my pond out as the winter killed everything in it. It was just filled with fresh water so is really clean. The concrete has been treated with a resin like coating which is the rusty colour. This colour reflects through the water. That is my colour treatment, the concrete.

The camera settings were, all manual settings of course auto focus wouldn't work for a shoot like this, shutter speed 1/2000, iris wide open, shot at a setting of 1080/50i. Camera sat on a been bag. The low angle helped with the lighting and colour effect.

Did I forget anything.

Lovely stuff - strangely hypnotic!
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Blog Entries

bit like when you have to explain a joke, it's just not funny anymore.
    Not quite the same, because I've already enjoyed and fully appreciated the end result. No I want to know how to plagiarise!
    Thanks for the info. 1/2000th eh?
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast