Thread: My interview with boxer Nathan Cleverly.Feedback please

Default My interview with boxer Nathan Cleverly.Feedback please

This is my latest boxing interview.I have taken all your comments and advice you all have given over the last year or so, so am interested to know what you think of this.

By the way Nathen Cleverly fights for the world title on the 21st may and is nice a person there is to interview.

Blog Entries

You've certainly taken a lot of the comments on board and the result is a big improvement.

The sound for Nathan's interview is much, much better, and whilst not as good, the sound for Darren(?)s interview is still clear.

Unfortunately the very first (yours?) line is very difficult for southern softie ears like mine to decipher. In fact after several listens I still can't make out what you're saying. Other than that, accents aren't a problem at all.

The two interviews are almost a contrast and compare.

In Nathan's interview he was well framed and the shot was a really good close-up and we can see light in his eyes. This gives the audience a feeling of really getting to see into the character's soul (if I'm not being too poetic). However the cutaways to the training shots rather broke up the interview. I suspect this is because Nathan responds with short considered answers rather than waxing eloquently. So we were left with a scene which alternated rather uncomfortably between bit of interview, bit of training, bit of interview, bit of training. I know you tried hard to overcome this by letting a lot of the interview sound continue under the training shots, but there simply wan't enough audio material. I don't know what you can do about this other than reduce the amount of training footage.Incidentaly the audio from the training shots was too loud when the interview was also running - in particular the sound of the tyre being hammered.
    Finally on the sound, you have a stereo thing going on but the stereo position of interviewer and interviewee seem to be the wrong way round for the image we're seeing (ie Nathan is seen on the right of the screen but we hear his voice coming out of teh left channel)

In contrast Darren's interview was cut together much better. It seems like you laid out the best bits of his interview, took out any awkward pauses and mistakes so that it all sounded and flowed right and then finally added some cutaways of the training shots to illustrate and/or just to add variety. This is so much better. However the shot of Darren wasn't quite as good - he's central in the frame, rather far away from the camera and there's quite a bit of potentially distracting stuff in the background - and as mentioned above the sound isn't quite as good (though it's perfectly acceptable to my ears).

If it seems the more work you put in, the harsher the criticism, take heart that's just how it is - as your films get better, they get tend to get judged to a higher standard (there's little point telling a newbie whose film is full of hosing and zooms that it might have been better to reflect a little light from the window back onto the talent's face). Also, people are much more likely to look for areas for improvement when dealing with someone who is clearly serious and obviously considering what he's been advised before. As I said at the beginning thei is a big improvement and it's great to see how quickly you're developing, not only technically, but a style of your own.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    You've certainly taken a lot of the comments on board and the result is a big improvement.

The sound for Nathan's interview is much, much better, and whilst not as good, the sound for Darren(?)s interview is still clear.

Unfortunately the very first (yours?) line is very difficult for southern softie ears like mine to decipher. In fact after several listens I still can't make out what you're saying. Other than that, accents aren't a problem at all.

The two interviews are almost a contrast and compare.

In Nathan's interview he was well framed and the shot was a really good close-up and we can see light in his eyes. This gives the audience a feeling of really getting to see into the character's soul (if I'm not being too poetic). However the cutaways to the training shots rather broke up the interview. I suspect this is because Nathan responds with short considered answers rather than waxing eloquently. So we were left with a scene which alternated rather uncomfortably between bit of interview, bit of training, bit of interview, bit of training. I know you tried hard to overcome this by letting a lot of the interview sound continue under the training shots, but there simply wan't enough audio material. I don't know what you can do about this other than reduce the amount of training footage.Incidentaly the audio from the training shots was too loud when the interview was also running - in particular the sound of the tyre being hammered.
    Finally on the sound, you have a stereo thing going on but the stereo position of interviewer and interviewee seem to be the wrong way round for the image we're seeing (ie Nathan is seen on the right of the screen but we hear his voice coming out of teh left channel)

In contrast Darren's interview was cut together much better. It seems like you laid out the best bits of his interview, took out any awkward pauses and mistakes so that it all sounded and flowed right and then finally added some cutaways of the training shots to illustrate and/or just to add variety. This is so much better. However the shot of Darren wasn't quite as good - he's central in the frame, rather far away from the camera and there's quite a bit of potentially distracting stuff in the background - and as mentioned above the sound isn't quite as good (though it's perfectly acceptable to my ears).

If it seems the more work you put in, the harsher the criticism, take heart that's just how it is - as your films get better, they get tend to get judged to a higher standard (there's little point telling a newbie whose film is full of hosing and zooms that it might have been better to reflect a little light from the window back onto the talent's face). Also, people are much more likely to look for areas for improvement when dealing with someone who is clearly serious and obviously considering what he's been advised before. As I said at the beginning thei is a big improvement and it's great to see how quickly you're developing, not only technically, but a style of your own.
    "In the last few months in the build up to your fight with Bramer" was the opening words for the record.LOL

Darren Wilson asked me could I shoot a short vid of Nathan training in his gym which I did.

Rather than just have training shots I desided to use an Interview I shot with Nathan (that is to be used else where) when he mentions working with darren.As it happens Nathan is a very good speaker and very easy to interview but he only speaks about working with Darren for a short period so I had to streach out his interview by putting a few cuts in while the training was on screen.For Nathans interview I used mics that were recomended to me by sombody on this site so thats the reason for the sound improvement.

The interview with Darren was filmed around 6-9 months ago prior to me using the mics and taking on the advice I have been given here.I just put it in there so I could put on as much training footage which is what Darren wanted in the first place.

Thanks for the great feedback!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Well, that just about explains everything. Good job!
    Tim

You have made great advances with these boxing videos. Tim's points are very valid but like he said the better the video the harsher the crit.

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    You have made great advances with these boxing videos. Tim's points are very valid but like he said the better the video the harsher the crit.

Well done.
    Thanks,I welcome any critical points because thats what helps me improve the standard of my interviews.

If I just wanted praise and a pat on the back I could ask my mates or familey what they think.(by the way they all think my stuff is great,LOL) but if I want to improve I ask the members of this forum.