Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 48 hour sci-fi film competition

Default 48 hour sci-fi film competition

Hey all,

Just wanted to share a film we made 2 weekends ago for the 48 hour London Sci-Fi competition. You pick at random a film title, a prop and a line of dialogue and then have 2 days to write, shoot and edit a 5 min short combining all of the random elements.

This is what we were given:

Title: The Last Book in the Library
    Prop: A desk lamp (with the bulb being screwed in)
    Dialogue: I guess all you can do is wish them a happy life together.

There were other teams who were less lucky with the random selections. I was quite happy with ours. In total 250 odd teams took part. 170 made the Monday morning deadline. I know we won't win (some of the other entries are amazing) but it was just an excuse to make a short film in a very limited time frame and to test our creativity. It was also bloody good fun even though I only had about 3 hours sleep over the whole weekend!

We had a crew of 4 and 2 actors at our disposal. Overall the shooting went well and the weather was luckily on our side. This is also the first film to be shot on our new Panasonic AF101.

Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Nicely shot and put together so quickly Jim. I'm not sure if it needed some sort of explanation as to what catastrophic event happened to the world between the couples two meetings. OR did you deliberately leave some ambiguity to create some intrigue. I know the movie left me with more questions than answers which is not always a bad thing as it shows it gets the audience thinking but feeling unfulfilled.

So how was it shooting with the AF101 it looks good.

We felt it was better not to broach the subject of why the world had become the way it has and instead focus on their relationship. I guess it's a love story of sorts. Due to our limited means and short space of time we decided to only lay hints to what had happened, the let the audience make their own conclusion.

The 101 was great. Just before we had filmed this, I had come back from a filming job in europe (gained from this lovely forum I might add) so I was up to speed on its working when I returned. It's the first time I have been able to use slow motion (50fps) on a project - we did resist the urge to overuse it this. The time-lapse is great as well and very easy to use. We had a large collection of lenses left over from our old 35mm adaptor so its great they are still in use.

Blog Entries

I've not had a chance to view yet, but I just wanted to say, what a fantastic idea for a competition. (And I'm glad you seem to be getting plenty of work as well, Jim)
    Tim

The 101 sounds like what the HVX201 should have been. I like the variable frame rate and the manual features that HVX offers. It's just the ability to change the lens sound like a great idea.

It really is a great camera! Much easier to use than our previous setup - Sony Z1 with a Redrock Micro 35mm adaptor.

We are definitely going to do more of these 48 hour challenges in the future!

Nice !!! loving the shot @ 2.47
    panasonic's looking like a decent product too.
    Last edited by enc; 04-13-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Thanks Enc. Got a really good deal on the Panny from Preston Media!

Blog Entries

Nice idea and a very nice look. I liked the mixed live/voice over conversation - a classic case of designing something for technical reasons (lack or potential lack of time to set everything up with good live sound and get the appropriate shots) which works really well artistically. Great locations as well.
    Tim

Cheers Tim. We were very lucky with the locations. 1 was literally a minutes walk from where I live. My favourite was underneath the motorway bridge in Brentford. The only irritating thing about our concept was that we had to keep people such as dog walkers out of our framing. It was amazing the amount of people that would just appear out of the blue soon as you start to roll on camera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast