Thread: How do you cut out people from a movie with no bluescreen and put them in another?

Default How do you cut out people from a movie with no bluescreen and put them in another?

Look at this video at about 1:12 -
    I want to be able to do cut outs like that. What program can do that? And where can I find tutorials on how to do it? Please help! I've been wanting to do things like this for ages. Just imagine if one were to cut in Charles Xavier in a wheelchair in Jurassic Park being fed to the T-rex instead of the goat. Hysterical xD

You need to rotoscope it which takes a lot of time and skill. I think the best best option would be a purpose made compositing software like After Effects or Combustion but most NLE software has the ability to mask out an object. Basically to do this you have to use a mask to cut around the object you want, you then move onto the next frame keyframing the mask as you go, adjust it slightly and do this for every frame of the clip. Takes a lot of patience. Check out Video Copilot, it has a lot of tutorials on how to do this in After Effects and you can download a free trail of After Effects.

Thanks for replying so quickly, you put me on the right track, just what I needed! It seems according to videos on youtube this kind of editing I want to do can be made quite simple with the "rotobrush" in after effects CS5, so I'm gonna have a go at it