Thread: Customer complaining "not every guest is in the video"

Default Customer complaining "not every guest is in the video"

So I shot/edited/delivered a wedding DVD to a client. Had a phone call today to say "loved the result...but some guests are not in the video, can I have the raw footage to check if more footage can be added to the final edit"

I explained that it is impossible to capture all guests (500+ in total)...everything at an Asian wedding is happening on stage...normally, a guest would come on stage turn by turn to have a photo/video shot taken. Now apparently, not everyone came up on stage...even though I checked if there are more to come. My job is to capture the main events...not every tom, dick & harry...not my problem if somebody decided not to go up on the stage. As long as the immediate family is featured in the final edit, I dont care. Am I right? Should I give the clients the raw footage?

Hi Shaf - clients book you on your style, not the ability to capture every guest. I'm sure you have terms and conditions on your booking contract that states something similar to 'artistic licence' = i.e "locations and material used during filming and editing is the companies creative choice. Our judgement shall be deemed correct unless agreed in writing"
    If not add it now and just take the hit.
    If you do have these terms, politely explain to the client that they're welcome (@45 ph) to sit through the edit looking for extras then re-edit burn DVD (@45 ph) or purchase the cam tapes (@20 per tape) to view at leisure.
    It occurs very rarely but so far 100% take up on " no, it'll be fine thanks".
    If you get a reputation for FOC re-edits they'll have you stitched up every time.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

3. Default

Nightmare, totally sympathize. Similar to what Zero says, charge for everything. Ok want to watch raw footage then buy the raw footage and watch it at home. What a re-edit? fine, charge for it. Charge for everything and very quickly all the "can i have?" "do you mind if?" will soon stop. If you start doing things for free you devalue your product and the client will not respect you. Yet if you politly but firmly explain why you are charging, ie re-export, dvd building etc etc then they realize how much effort goes into your product and will respect you for your hard work.

wedding videographer shooting wedding video London

Thanks for the Zero/Molo. I've ammended my terms and advised, I will start charging for everything. As you say molo, it is a right pain having to re-export etc, all for minor changes. Not worth the stress.
    Last edited by shaf; 05-18-2011 at 12:28 AM.

5. Default

Glad to help. You may find the below helpful. Combined with an "Extras" on your prices page.

The client has critically viewed samples of x-your name-x video work and hereby grants full editorial and production control to x-your name-x regarding all aspects of the production and post-production services for the event. Creative aspects such as shooting and editing style are at the discretion of x-your name-x.

wedding videographer London shooting wedding video London