Thread: Audio Effect help needed (Pinnacle Studio 11)

Default Audio Effect help needed (Pinnacle Studio 11)

For my current project I need to make a piece of music sound as though it is emanating from a speaker in the open air some 50 feet from the camera. Whilst I am fairly experienced in editing video in Studio I am clueless about audio effects, and 'trial and error' is not getting me anywhere!
    I would be grateful for any guidance as to what kind of filter would produce the effect that I am after.

Thanks

John

Use an EQ tool and take off the bottom end or low frequencies. Then if you feel it's appropriate add some reverb to suite or even a 1/4 to 1/2 second delay to give it that crappy PA system at a summer fair effect.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 04-06-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Blog Entries

Interesting Midnight. From memory of what I hear, you're right. But it can't be entirely correct. Low frequencies travel further than high, so cutting the highs would make sense.(This is why you can always hear the bass thump of parties two streets away, or the stereo next door)
    I suspect what we get as we get further away is a loss of the higher frequencies, coupled with a softening of the "attack" in the lower frequencies or indeed across all frequencies, but this is mere speculation.
    What we need is Tim A!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Interesting Midnight. From memory of what I hear, you're right. But it can't be entirely correct. Low frequencies travel further than high, so cutting the highs would make sense.(This is why you can always hear the bass thump of parties two streets away, or the stereo next door)
    I suspect what we get as we get further away is a loss of the higher frequencies, coupled with a softening of the "attack" in the lower frequencies or indeed across all frequencies, but this is mere speculation.
    What we need is Tim A!
    You may be right Tim but your forgetting the rubbish outdoor speackers that are used. The ones I remember had no bass even if you stood next to them. This may not be what to OP wants.

Thank you for the responses folks. I'm impressed with this forum!

I'll take those suggestions on-board and let you know how I get on.

Thanks

John

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    You may be right Tim but your forgetting the rubbish outdoor speackers that are used.
    As the OP didn't specify rubbish outdoor speakers, we're both guessing.
    Tim

Cutting the high frequencies, with a touch of echo, and adjusting the stereo image is giving me the effect that I was after. - Simple really.

Thanks again

John

And now we know.

Blog Entries

Just came across some notes I took when a now retired head of sound at Sky TV came and gave us a talk:
    Boost mids to make closer cut mids to make further away
    Tim