Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40" Toshiba 1080p Monitor Unboxing

Cool 40" Toshiba 1080p Monitor Unboxing

Why am I an editor? ...because I'm a bad filmer!
    ☮ ♫ ☾ ☆ ☼ ☯ ~ Live Long & Prosper

Blog Entries

Looks like you need to don some serious colour balancing there.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Looks like you need to don some serious colour balancing there.
    Already did, actually I used manual white balance. I think my light was too strong, too close, and unfiltered. There was a 105w (500w incandescent equivalent) soft box to the left with no filter what so ever.

Or are you talking about the split screen? Because I don't know how to set my white balance in the dark facing an LCD.
    Last edited by PinkFloydEffect; 04-06-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Oh it was split screen

I thought it was a two screen setup and I was commenting on how you needed to balance between the two (ie calibrate the monitors)! Oooops!
    Tim

The one on the right does look as if it needs warming up, colour wise but it's hard to know what the white balance on the camera was set like. If you are having trouble getting the image to fit the screen. make sure you are connecting using the right input. Then look at page 44 of the manual. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Oh it was split screen

I thought it was a two screen setup and I was commenting on how you needed to balance between the two (ie calibrate the monitors)! Oooops!
    Yeah haha why would anyone run two mirrored monitors??

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    The one on the right does look as if it needs warming up, colour wise but it's hard to know what the white balance on the camera was set like. If you are having trouble getting the image to fit the screen. make sure you are connecting using the right input. Then look at page 44 of the manual. If that helps.
    It's 1 single monitor, the left is a GoPro HD Hero the right is a HDC-SD9. Oh trust me I'm using the right input, HDMI 1, 2 & 3 all do the same thing. If your trying to set a white balance in the dark of a lighted screen how do you do it? Zoom into a white screen and set it to that? If so dosen't that throw off the dark room around the monitor after you set it and zoom back out? I already sent it back now I have two Samsung BX2431's and I must say, muchhhhhh better!

To do a white balance on the camera, once you have the lighting you will use in the shoot zoom into a white piece of paper rather than a screen as a screen is made up of coloured dots, even the white area of the screen this could confuse the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    To do a white balance on the camera, once you have the lighting you will use in the shoot zoom into a white piece of paper rather than a screen as a screen is made up of coloured dots, even the white area of the screen this could confuse the camera.
    If I do that won't the screen be too washed out and bright for the dark WB? We are working with two completely different light levels so it seems impossible. The only light temperature in the room is whatever the screen is giving off, but it shines in 1 direction (opposite to where I am shooting which is the screen) but the back light is not strong enough to illuminate the wall to hang a piece of white paper on. Do you get what I am saying?

Yes I understand but you could move the camera and paper so that it is illuminated by the screen just to get the white balance. The screen will only be washed out if your cameras exposure is not set correctly, this is a different process to setting the white balance. The way I would do it is set up the room with the lighting, then do the white balance on the camera, then position the shot and set the exposure and focus, which can change throughout the shot depending on what the shoot is. Auto exposure and focus can sometimes give a less than satisfactory results when shooting a TV or computer screen.

I shall try that on my next unboxing video of my 2431's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast