Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Import size for still images

1. Default Import size for still images

Hello All,

First timere here!

Can anyone tell me the correct size to import still images into Adobe Premiere? A friend said 720x576 for PAL, when I set the widthe to 720 in Adobe Photoshop, the height goes to 482, I read to untick the aspect ratio box and even though the image will look a little distorted this is OK for the final slideshow. Also if I do set the image to 720x576 there is still little black area around the image in the preview window.

With many thanks,

Best wishes

You don't want to settle for distorted images, it's better to do it right and have them looking like they should.

I'll asume your working with widescreen video here. Many video formats, including PAL has rectangle shaped pixels, photo's/graphics have square pixels, so this will cause you problems.

Depending on what version of Premiere you have you need to do it a litlte bit different. If you have Pro cs3 or earlier make your photo 1024x576 if Pro cs4 or later make it 1050x576. Either way use square pixels with these frame sizes.

Those frame aspect ratios with square pixels translate exactly to the 720x576 frame aspect ratio with the rectangular shaped pixels (which they changed the dimensions of in cs4).

If your working with elements then I have no idea if they changed the PAR at that time, I would think that they never as it was for pro/broadcast reasons, and you should use the 1024x576 dimensions. But with any luck an elements user might come along and comfirm what they done about this at that time, and if they did change it, in what version they changed it.

If your using Premiere Pro you can import a picture at it's native dimensions then scale/frame it to your desired size/position within Premiere, you can even animate it to emulate pans and zooms, but if you know for certain how you want it to look you are better doing it the way you are doing it just now.

I have no idea if you can do it that way within Premiere Elements.

3. Default Import size for still images

Thanks David,

I think I get the ratio but not quite! So shall I re-size my images to the pixels you suggested then once imported they will be 720 x ..?

You know the window, top right where you can preview your movie? Well should the images I import fit perfectly in there, no borders or black area. I also understand about zooming and panning as you suggest, that's exactly what I want to do.

If it's not too much to ask in one post do I export the movie as a PAL Standard (I live in Europe). I understand that I might need another programme, Encore, to enable it to be viewed on a DVD.

Thank you for this, very much appreciated.

Best wishes

First of all, what version of Premiere are you using and is it widescreen?

5. Default

Good Morning,

The version on my PC is Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5

Thanks again David,

Best wishes

If it's widescreen your using import the image as 1024x576 (square pixels), that will fill exactly the same dimensions as 720x576 PAL (with the rectangular pixels).

That's only if you know that's how you want the final image to look. If you want to create pan/zoom animations then forget about that, import your picture at it's full size with full resolution then re-psition/scale it within Premiere, otherwise you'll just lose resolution and get unnesesarily poor quality video.

To get out to DVD you can export as Microsft DV, then import into Encore and let it do the transcode, or you can export directly to DVD from your timeline in Premiere. If I remember right CS3 had a funtion to create menu's (from pre-set templates) within Premiere. But versions before this, such as pro 1.5, you could only burn to a DVD that would automatically play (without menu's) when put in a DVD player. I'm sure you'll find a quick reference to this in the help files.

7. Default

Thanks David and fo the quick reply,

It's not widescreen, just normal. I do want to create pan/zoom animations, so should I import my images at their normal size straight from the camera, then click on them in the preview pane and use the handles to size them exactly to the window size?

Also when I set the project up should I use PAL Standard.

Thank you,

Best wishes

Yes, use the "PAL Standard" settngs if it's not widescreen, and forget about sizing your images ready to import into Premiere. Import your images as they come from the camera.

When you load them in the source monitor (left side) they will appear full size. When you put them in the timeline they will appear in the record monitor (right side) but they will look different as this monitor always shows the frame size, pixel shape and resolution of your project settings "PAL Standard" in this case.

So only part of your images will be seen in the window. You can use the handles to make adjustments, I can't remember where offhand, perhaps rightclicking on clip in the timeline, brings up a menu where you can just press fit to fill, but unless it happens to be the same frame aspect ratio as the video settings you will get black bars. Personally I prefer to go to the effects settings, and change sizes/positions there, then you can set keyframes to animate the changes to size/position over time.

Something you need to remember is that video has a lower resolution than digital photo's. Photo's are traditionaly for printing and can be measured in a physical dimension "dpi". Video, PAL Standard in this case, is different. Regardles of the physical size of the television screen it is always 720x576 with rectangular shaped pixels (just a different ratio rectangle than widescreens 720x576).

Video has a comparible dpi of 72dpi, so you often have way more to play with than you might think from a 300dpi (that will translate directly to 72dpi on import to Premiere) or over photgraph.

Never scale your photo over 100% or you'll start to lose resolution, if it's a good quality picture scaling down shouldn't really cause problems.

On a side note, that may be useful to someone. With a 1920x1080 HD camera, screen shots can be taken from the 72dpi video, and with dirtect translation to 300dpi (no dirty rescaling either up or down) the image comes out a nice size that is just a little larger than one of the standard postcard sizes that can be printed by many online print companies. Great for project marketing.

9. Default

Hello David,

I think I'm getting there! It's just that when put them in the timeline they appear massive in the record monitor. I import the images as they are they are and and I can only see a small centre part. Is this OK and then use the handles to re-size? Will I still be able to pan and zoom etc?

Should I set the PAL to say standard at 32 or 48 and does the record monitor automatically go to this size?

How do I get to effects settings, and change sizes/positions there, is it top left, video effects?

I did try and re-size while using the handles in the record monitor but it seemed to jump a little when I played it at first.

Thanks again David, I hope I'm not being a nuisance.

Best wishes

In the monitor on the left it dislays what you are inputting, the source clip, so it will show what ever size image/video you open at it's full size, so you will always see the full image of whatever it may be.

The monitor on the right shows what you are outputting, so this will always be 720x576 for your project settings.

Your photo that you are putting in has a dimension of much larger than 720x576 so what you are seeing is fine. Imagine the monitor on the left being like a photograph you have printed out, and the monitor on the right being like a photo frame with one of those border inserts. Parts of the photo hide behind the insert in a photo frame allowing the framer to make a nice composition. That's all that is happening here, you can move the photo around and reframe it to a desired position, or scale it down to be able to see more of it in the output frame.

There is a tab at the top of the monitor on the left, it says "effect contols" if you open that, then select a clip on the timeline it opens up the controls for that clip and shows a mini timeline that represents that clip only. You can make adjustments to the effect properties in here, and setting keyframes on the mini timeline then moving along and changing the properties (and setting a new keyframe) animates the changes over time for that clip.

Any effects that you apply to clip can have their properties adjusted/animated in the exact same way in here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast