Thread: New Editor, Vegas does nothing but crash. Ive tried everything!

Default New Editor, Vegas does nothing but crash. Ive tried everything!

Hello everyone

I’m just starting in the editing world, I have Vegas studio 9 platinum. It constantly crashes. I know the first thing everyone wants to know is what my settings are. It does not matter, it crashes what ever the settings are. Im running it on a freshly formatted windows 7 home (which I reformatted after vegas wouldn’t stop crashing in the hope it would help), with plenty of memory and free space. During rendering, CRASH…during previewing, CRASH…sometimes it gives an error, sometimes it just closes.

I tried to covert all the files on my timeline to .mov, uncompressed, as that is what comes off my digital camera, but still, crash. Crash crash crash. I don’t know what to do.

I’ve tried everything except switching to adobe premiere or eventually breaking down and getting a mac.

I have not installed any codecs (I heard they can interfere with Vegas) and I’m trying to use editable uncompressed .mov files, most are straight from my dslr (600D)

Words of advice?

Any suggestions?

Sould I try to upgrade to Vegas 10? Will that crash too? Is vegas notorious for crashing like Ive observed? Does Premiere have crashing issues? Adobie is more of a software company than Sony...are they more stable?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Two-Nineteen View Post
    Is vegas notorious for crashing like Ive observed?
    Whilst this is not going to help you, you'll find quite the reverse is true: Vegas has a reputation for being paricularly stable. I'me one of many people who transferred to Vegas because we were sick of teh instability of other products. Having said that, it does seem less stable nowadays for many people.
    Given that you've reinstalled Windows 7 and the latest version of Vegas Movie Studio 9 (9.0c), then I'm afraid the issue is either the clips or a hardware issue with your PC. Remember video editing is something that will really stress your PC and hence find faults that may well not show up in other uses. Try swapping out the RAM (halve it, run Vegas - if problem persists, put the half you took out in and remove the rest) use different RAM slots. Uncompressed files will cause most NLEs to balk. Are you able to try with different files from different sources (just to see if those work)? Sorry, but it's a long case of trial and error to troubleshoot.
    Tim

Thanks for your input. I would have never guessed that it could be a hardware issue. I never thought of that. But considering its a fresh install of windows 7 on a computer not even connected to the internet and a fresh VEGAS install...its becoming more and more obvious to me that its hardware. Any place I should start messing around? I'm gonna play with the ram, then the hard drives. Hopefully I can make the problem better or even worse with changing things.
    Anywhere I should start? What is the most common hardware problem? Could it be that I just need more ram (I think I have 4gb)?
    Thanks.

My Vegas 9 pro had trouble with the Canon 5D cameras, kept crashing, had to covert to anther format for it to work.

SV 10 handles canon files with no problems, you could try the trial and see if that works for you

Blog Entries

In my opinion, if it is hardware, it is most likely to be RAM, motherboard or CPU, with RAM being the easiest to eliminate (the others being almost impossible without diags or swap-outs) If your PC is proprietory, you may be able to run some diagnostics either supplied with it or available as a download. Another possibility is drivers - particularly video card drivers.
    Whilst more RAM might be beneficial (assuming you have 64 bit windows) it's not going to help Movie Studio much as that's a 32 bit application and can only address 2GB anyway. It is not going to be tha cause of the crashes.

EDIT: Just seen Cheema's post. System Restore to create a Restore Point. Install Movie Studio 10. Test. That will be the quickest way to see if it is an incompatability with your camera's files.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 04-02-2011 at 11:41 PM.
    Tim

6. Default

I have Vegas Pro 10 and I used to have the same problems. This may just be a coincidence but i found that as long as you don't open another window while using Vegas it does not crash. I have other windows running but i never open them when i'm using Vegas.

I don't suppose you are using MOV files .....I have read that 9 has problems with them....so you would need to convert the files