Thread: Insane Jump Rope Montage

1. Exclamation Insane Jump Rope Montage

I wasn't sure which category to put this video in, but this seems sorta like the correct one.
    Hope you like it!

Blog Entries

Wow. That was impressive!

From a video point of view I don't think you've done a bad job. You've obviously kept the camera fairly wide to capture the action, but consider getting some close-ups of eg hands holding rope, concentration on faces, feet only. Sure these don't show the skill of teh trick, but they make for a more varied video. They also give you cutaways which can be useful when you need to link two very similar shots (or even shots from the same clip where you had a "hiccup" in the middle).
    Unfortunately the rope disappears for most of the video. I don't know it going to the highest shutter speed light will permit will improve matters much, but it's worth a try.
    Occasional sections in slo-mo work well for this sort of thing, as you have discovered.

The better footage was that which was from a supported camera. Some follow action looked like it was on a tripod, some looked hand held. I think hand held is probably OK for following action, but not so for static camera shots (but that's my taste rather than a hard and fast rule).

In a montage such as this, fancy transitions are acceptable, but try to limit yourself to one or two types. Something which looks like you've gone through every transition in your toolbox looks amateur.

It might be nice to consider adding some sort nat sound (ropes & feet slapping on the ground, and applause) to give more of a feeling of "being there".

Whilst a montage is fine and dandy, you gave us precisous little information at the beginning. When and Where? (Then also consider "who won?" - maybe captions as they are doing their routines or judges holding up scores)

Finally, try to get some sort of narrative into the film. We saw some great skills demonstrated, but we didn't go from anywhere to anywhere. There was no natural path towards an ending. The narrative needn't be complicated - it can be simply a chronological view.

Consider the following as a structure (this is just off the top of my head and a fairly obvious treatment, the idea is for you to think about it rather than copy)

After your brief B&W montage which served as good intro - a taste of what we were going to get.
    Wide establishing shot of the building (maybe with name & date in caption)
    Cut to exterior shot of people arriving
    Then internal shot of same (perhaps people going to changing rooms or setting down bags)
    Footage of people setting out tables, judges arriving.

Then if possible structure the main footage in some way: by age group, type of skill whatever. At the end of each section show people sitting down, catching their breath, looking anxious or whatever and /or judges writing notes/comparing notes or showng scores.

This will create a pause in which the audience can also get their breath back, before heading back into another high - energy section.

You can do this a number of times - creating little peaks and troughs in the flow of the film. This is much more effective than a constant high-action montage (think - even in the hollywood movies in the action scenes, there are deliberate peaks and troughs which just serve to enhance the action)

You can culminate with scenes of the winners receiving their trophies, and/or a montage of the winners in action (replay shots seen earlier with their names: or even just what they won)

Then close with almost a reverasl of the opening - people leaving the building, and the car park.

And maybe a final shot of someone with a sports bag walking out of the gym door with a final look back over his/her shoulder and a satisfied smile.

(I'm starting to think I'm good at this. Maybe I should make a film like it)
    Tim

3. Default

Thank you!!! Everything you said sounds like a great way of making these better! I'm absolutely going to take all of your advice and start a new project with some video i got last week. Its really helpful to have someone, as a viewer, give you advice. Once again thanks!

I guess, what he said, as he hasn't left much for the rest of us.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I guess, what he said, as he hasn't left much for the rest of us.
    Oh I'm sure you can find one or two things to disagree with - or rather offer an alternative opinion about

Sorry I did get rather carried away. Not so much with how I think I'd have done the job (which probably wouldn't have been significantly different to the OPs) but how I'd like to have done the job. And that's what it's about really, isn't it? Aspiration?
    Tim

That would be, aspiration with perspiration is a thing that can build a nation. Did Kennedy say that or have I lost the plot. Don't answer that, I know I have.