Thread: Los Angeles Film-makers..

Default Los Angeles Film-makers..

I am a Digital Muscian, but I've been watching many Youtube Video's lately featuring every day people who go out with their friends and film these epic videos loaded with effects and decent storylines and they have a great time doing it and some of them go big and they even get paid to Advertise for youtube.

I have seen so many of these, and haven't tried writting a few scripts before, and having just a great imagination, I feel if I was partnered up with the right people, we could make very entertaining videos for online distribution. I don't have much to contribute besides being able to write music, but I have a great imagination and I have great directors vision for how a scene should look or be conveyed, and I could help make a great story.. if I only had the people to do it. I'm in Los Angeles, there are millions of people here, and actors and directors and editors floating around, but I don't really know where to find them. Where do I find these people who have the aspiration to be directors who have the skills and talents but are just missing other pieces of the puzzle. Where are these people? If you're looking for others, so I am.. lets work something out.

Pity you've no replies, so here goes:

Based in UK, but the World is the same all-over, just about...
    I wonder if I'm not reading yr post right - you appear to be mixing being a musician, with film directing (or is my confusion in my mind only?).
    As I read your p[iece, it's much the same that many of us have felt at the start of a career - "If only..."
    Writing music is a great talent, that is if you can add something to an existing film . . . indeed I suspect a so-so film could be raised to "winning" by a supporting score.
    Perhaps you should try to write a score for an up-and-coming filmmaker, something under the quote "Two minutes free..."
    - that should cover the opening titles and maybe the start of the dialogue . . . .

To gain some experience you could try to write a score for some existing advertisements . . . . cutting out the original sound, so you have a silent project. That way you need have no fear the video isn't good - it's already passed the eye of the Client. Can you make it better?

If you want something a bit bigger, provide some feedback + let me know...Project 2 video will be about 15mins...
    Hmm.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 06-24-2011 at 09:03 PM.

Thanks for your reply. So to put it a bit more simply, I am a musician, and I have written some score-like songs before, and I will take you up on your suggestion on cutting the original music out of a scene and using it to sort of sell myself to someone. I could write a free licensed song "Two minutes free" is that what you meant? Sort of something people can use and see how they like it or like my style? That sounds like a good idea I have some things in my archive that I could master and give that a try. Thanks a ton for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    Pity you've no replies, so here goes:

Based in UK, but the World is the same all-over, just about...
    I wonder if I'm not reading yr post right - you appear to be mixing being a musician, with film directing (or is my confusion in my mind only?).
    As I read your p[iece, it's much the same that many of us have felt at the start of a career - "If only..."
    Writing music is a great talent, that is if you can add something to an existing film . . . indeed I suspect a so-so film could be raised to "winning" by a supporting score.
    Perhaps you should try to write a score for an up-and-coming filmmaker, something under the quote "Two minutes free..."
    - that should cover the opening titles and maybe the start of the dialogue . . . .

To gain some experience you could try to write a score for some existing advertisements . . . . cutting out the original sound, so you have a silent project. That way you need have no fear the video isn't good - it's already passed the eye of the Client. Can you make it better?

If you want something a bit bigger, provide some feedback + let me know...Project 2 video will be about 15mins...
    Hmm.
    Good luck.