Thread: feedback for live music recordings

Default feedback for live music recordings

Hi,

the gig was record on a two of cameras (Canon Legria HF R17) and with an audio signal from the mixer. Video is edited with Adobe Premiere CS5. In the final audiotrack is used about 60% of vol. from mixer's audiotarck ja about 40% about camera's audiotrack.

Here's the link to video:

We would welcome any constructive criticism about any aspect of what you see and hear.

Cheers!

Blog Entries

For me - the vocal is way to back in the mix. The hand-held camera is too shaky too I think - and in that regard I'd stick with shots from that one that aren't moving. I'd be more inclined to for instance take a shot of the guitarist far right, cut away, let the camera move, then go back to it. I think it would just give impression that you'd thought about the shots beforehand and look more pro than 'wandering camera syndrome'.

Blog Entries

Gotta agree with Andy - of course if you took the mix from the desk you had no choice. It's surprising how even a little bit of wandering camera, or "hosing" can make the whole video look unprofessional.
    Tim

Ok, thanks for advise. I agree that the vocals are too quiet, but that sucks because I can't do anything for that afterwards... Next time we'll use mixer that record every instrument on it's own track so it could be fixed (hope so). And what comes to the wandering camera - it wasn't me (I'm the one who's trying to sing), next time I can teach my friend to shoot perfectly. Meaby we'll put some weight to camera to make it stable.
    What do you guys think about editing the video? I've tried to keep it simple, but what comes to the song I had to put some 80's things to the video

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mikko Vepsäläinen View Post
    ..What do you guys think about editing the video?
    That's exactly what I commented on - cut out the wandering camera shots and it'll be alot better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikko Vepsäläinen View Post
    ...next time I can teach my friend to shoot perfectly. Mabey we'll put some weight to camera to make it stable.
    Try a tripod - they're a brilliant invention.

ok,
    but you didn't see all that floor & roof & crowd which are taked away already
    But yes, some of those wandering camera shots could be removed.

Second camera was on tripod, but I wanted little bit of move ja "live" feelings in other camera.
    Meaby next time I should take couple more of cameras and put those on tripod and
    still keep that one camera on my friend's hand but direct him to shoot smoothly and turn restrainedly.

Ok, thanks for advise. Actually this was my 3rd video and first one when I tried to take audiotrack from mixer in live situation (...been there done that in our training house couple times...).
    About that "why not a single close up for the singer" is meaby because I was that singer and when I was cutting that video I thought that I don't wanna bring out myself too much.
    Who argued that Judas Priest is an acoustic band?

...no no no, sorry, I didn't mean quite that you know my english is bad because I'm from the promise land of the formula drivers. For my aspect it is a good classic song (rated somewhere 9&half) but reason of the play it is not that. It's more like our vision of our band to adapt & play acoustic classic songs which are originally play with electric guitars and drums. But anyway I didn't come here to talk about music.