Thread: problems with Adobe After affects :(

Default problems with Adobe After affects :(

Hey guys first post here ,

I've been trying to create some slow motion video in Twixtor, after I've done everything in Twixtor and I attempt to play the video it runs really jerky as if it's attempting to render and the green bar wont fill the whole clip, it's happening with video that I haven't processed in Twixtor as well , if anyone could help it would be great.

Here's a screen shot of my problem, as you can see the green bar isn't filling up the whole of the video in the timeline:

Cheers lads
    Jordan

it runs really jerky as if it's attempting to render
    That's exactly what's happening, After Effects doesn't work like NLE programs where you can play back video in real time as necessary for editng. With Effects work, there is a masive range in how processor/RAM intensive any particular job might be, and working with twixtor is pretty intensive.

So After Effects works different, what you are experiencing is exactly what you describe, your computer attemting to render.

Every time it renders a frame that frame is occupied by a section of the green line, when ever you put your CTI on a frame it turns green. That's because After Effects loads the frame (with any work done on it) to RAM, but RAM is a temporary thing. It can be accessed much faster than a hard drive but you can't (and obviously wouldn't want to) store a file there permenantly.

When you play back your timeline it's storing the frames to RAM as it plays (and most definately not in real time with twixtor applied) if you open the info panel it tells you what frame rate it is playing back at.

When you fill all your ram with frames After Effects starts to dump frames it has already cached and replaces them with the new ones.

Instead of playing back, hit RAM preview, this does what you are doing but stops when your RAM is full and plays it back at full speed. Then if you like you can save the RAM preview as a video file to your hard drive.

As a general rule, the faster your RAM the faster after effects can get the information cached, the more you have the longer previews you can do.

David.

As David says,

the length of that green line depends on how much RAM you have,

you can also go to AE preferences under 'memory and multithreading' and tweak the balance between render speed and length of previews (your green bar)

Plus at bottom of screen there is a pull down box giving preview resolution settings..... if you alter this to read 'half' your previews will speed up and you'll get a slightly longer green bar.

I have also same version software and ditto that type problem also comes when i was using but when i have upgrade through internet then after they working normally .
    ----------------
    peachtree accounting
    Last edited by ketyw; 03-28-2011 at 09:29 AM.