Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Client Asks for Additional Work...

1. Default When Client Asks for Additional Work...

I have run into this problem before: a price for job X will be negotiated and agreed upon by the client and myself, but then a week later the client will come to me with additional work ("We might also need you to do Y, thanks!") without asking how much that extra cost will be. It irks me that it is taken for granted that I will do this additional work all included in the original fee.

How do I approach this problem?

Blog Entries

You use a written contract that stipulates what you're doing for what, and how much per hour additional work will be.

3. Default

Why do you assume they expect it to be done within the original fee.

This happens quite often, once the ball is rolling and the client talks about it to others the idea gets expanded. I am happy to take on extra, I just send them a revised quote.
    Never had a problem so long as the original contract has the agreed cover spelt out. I never sign an open contract, always specifies the work agreed.

There are plenty of terms for this.... "project creep"..... "scope creep".... it can be so incremental that you feel guilty asking for extra.

Don't.

Your client wouldn't expect to ask a shopkeeper to price up & package a pound of oranges. Then grab a couple of apples for himself on the way out.

Be reasonable - but draw a line in the sand verbally and explain that work is charged per hour if more is asked for.
    They'll respect you more for it, and if you don't they may keep asking for more and more and more....

..and more.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Thurston Lang View Post
    There are plenty of terms for this.... "project creep"..... "scope creep".... it can be so incremental that you feel guilty asking for extra.

Don't.

Your client wouldn't expect to ask a shopkeeper to price up & package a pound of oranges. Then grab a couple of apples for himself on the way out.

Be reasonable - but draw a line in the sand verbally and explain that work is charged per hour if more is asked for.
    They'll respect you more for it, and if you don't they may keep asking for more and more and more....

..and more.
    Thanks very much for all of these responses. Since I've only been in the game two years I was just a bit clueless as how to proceed with this - it's a fine line between "being reasonable" and being "taken advantage of". It also amazes me how some would actually take it for granted that extra work would be complete free of charge, within the original budget.

Quote Originally Posted by griffinmill View Post
    Thanks very much for all of these responses. Since I've only been in the game two years I was just a bit clueless as how to proceed with this - it's a fine line between "being reasonable" and being "taken advantage of". It also amazes me how some would actually take it for granted that extra work would be complete free of charge, within the original budget.
    I agree. It's happened to me before. The problem is that people think they are already paying so much that you must be making lots of money and somehow they're entitled to stretch things a little further.

I've started telling people that while I can shoot this little extra bit on the day "while I'm there" the extra time comes in editing which could be anything for a few minutes to several hours and that means it's 'X' per hour extra they need to budget for. Sometimes they want it and sometimes they don't think it's worth it. As ever, Uncle Bob would just press the record button and it's free, but then Uncle Bob doesn't have to figure out how to weave it in to the story.

"Project Creep" (as I know it by) is everywhere, I picked up a tip from someone in a completley different industry. If they're going to make an assumption or chance it and test you, do the exact same, just invoice them for the work assuming it's standard. If they tell you you are chancing it it's like them telling you they were chancing it.

You can also put wording in a contract relating to minimum hourly rates relating to re-negotiations for later additions after the time of contract.

You need to set a precedence, it's what they're trying to do.

David.

Our standard quote has the hourly rate for film and edit. As the extra work creeps in explain the add ons as you go. A large hit at the end can create friction.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

just invoice them for the work assuming it's standard
    A large hit at the end can create friction.
    I was reading through the forum when I initially added this reply, and not in full awareness that I was in the wedding section. I'm the last person to offer advice on weddings, and I would imagine this to be bad advice. Especially as ideally (for the client) this is a one off purchase, with no profitable potential, that could/shold follows with a run of recomendations.

While a bit of flexibility is always necessary, when establishing corporate client bases, and assuming the product is good, it can help set the precedent for a healthy professional relationship.

David.

Not sure what you're trying to say David. Please explain clearly.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast