Thread: I'm Brand New - Just Out of the Packaging - Please Help

Default I'm Brand New - Just Out of the Packaging - Please Help

Hello All!

Very new to the forum. Been looking for a beginners guide (both in this forum and with general video editing) but haven't been able to find any. I'd appreciate it any links or intro documents for newbies.

I have no editing experience what so ever, and have considered paying money to go on night courses to develop the basic skills. When I have paid for these before though I don't actually end up learning much. I learn most when playing around myself and learning from forums/online sources. Any starting points you could give would be great.

I have a new version of CamStudio and about a 4/5-year old copy of Cyberlink PowerDirector (however my PC is about this old as well, if this will hold me back please let me know and I will start to save).
    I want to get my editing down before I start with video capture. If anyone can show me where the literature is so I can start to develop the basics Iíd really appreciate it. If you honestly feel that video editing warrants a fee paying course then if you can please advise a good one to start. Iíve just graduated University with over £25,000ís worth of student debt however, so feeís are quite a concern for me at present.

Kindest of Regards,

JohnZe

I found that I learnt a lot more since leaving university then I did while I was there, by working voluntarily on projects. But when I graduated I did have a foundation of knowledge about video and post production so perhaps it might be an idea for you to do a short course about the basics of editing but first you need to establish what your going to be editing on. If your serious about editing I suggest you get yourself a fairly powerful system, if you post your specs on here some of the more technically minded guys on here might be able to guide you as to what your going to need to upgrade to as far as system requirements. Software wise it depends on the system your going to be using but I suggest you invest in some of the more high end editing softwares such as Final Cut, Avid Media Composer, Premiere Pro or Sony Vegas, you can download free trials of all of these to see what suits you better. And then, just try and get yourself out there, there's always people on websites like Mandy and Talent circle looking for people to edit their projects on an expenses basis which is great for people who are trying to learn and gain experience.

Good Luck

Thanks MartChap!

The beginners courses do seem to be for people who are new to computers generally though.

"Price: £496
    Course aims: Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to: Assemble a sequence of media clips Fine tune a sequence Enhance a sequence with transitions, effects, and titles Adjust audio clips Export video Read More"

I taught myself to do that in half an hour a long while back when I was editing my Halo footage (please try not to judge me!).

You know of any good books that I can buy to teach myself?

This is more of a hobby thing as well not really wanting a career in it. Want to be able to mess about and wind up friends etc.

Thanks for your response!

Dan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZe View Post
    The beginners courses do seem to be for people who are new to computers generally though.
    The course sounds wholly unsuitable. Anything that says "Enhance a sequence with transitions" probably means "attempt to cover up a bad cut but putting in an even worse "clever" graphic in order to distract.
    I strongly suspect it teaches you the mechanics rather than the reason and the art.
    I taught myself to do that in half an hour a long while back when I was editing my Halo footage (please try not to judge me!).
    Of course you did. And now you want to learn the art.
    You know of any good books that I can buy to teach myself?
    Read this. Note especially the first book. http://www.videoforums.co.uk/pre-pro...deomaking.html

And check out some great tips here: http://www.videoforums.co.uk/pre-pro...deomaking.html

This is more of a hobby thing as well not really wanting a career in it. Want to be able to mess about and wind up friends etc.
    Try to keep it so. Never let it stop being fun. Once it does, it ceases to be a hobby
    Having said that, once you get into the swing of things, I can guarantee you'll want to do more than just wind up a few mates.

Emjoy
    Tim