Have you considered Rotoscoping? Any graphical effect you could ever dream of can be achieved with Rotoscoping.
It's midnight and I'm too tired to look for a guide on rotoscoping for you. Basically, it goes like this:
1. Export your video as a set of still frames in BMP format.
2. Open up each frame in Photoshop or whatever program you want; they will be numbered sequentially.
3. Draw in the effects that you want using your photo editing program.
4. Import all of the frames back into your video editor and set them all to be 1 frame long.
5. Take the audio from the original, non-edited clip and place it where it should be for the rotoscoped clip (as the rotoscoped clip will have no sound; it's only a bunch of pictures!)
6. The end!
AMD Sempron 2600+ (Socket 754; 1.6GHz)
768MB Crucial PC2100 (I know, I really need PC3200 :()
ATI Radeon 9200