Thread: Canon XH A1S input video into pc - where do I start what do I need

Default Canon XH A1S input video into pc - where do I start what do I need

I am a web developer, a client gave me a new canon XHA1s for a job rather then money (I am very grateful for this hehe). I had 12 years of professional photography before moving to IT. any way.

I have taken a test video on my Canon XHA1s, I realise I need to buy a card to add to my pc so I can transfer the data to it.

Can you recomend a suitable card for me to do this. something in the 100 range if possible.

Also do you take the video direct from your Camera or do you have a small tape player that you paly the tapes in and take it from there to your PC.

I have windows 7 64 bit and CS5 Adobe Premiere.

Thanks for your input

Asheville, NC USA

Hey K,

Congrats on the camera!

You'll only need a firewire card to import your footage. Most systems have them integrated into the motherboard already.

If you have a laptop, you'll most likely have a 4 pin firewire port, if you have a desktop, you'll most likely have a 6 pin port. They are shown below:

Your camera has the 4 pin port. So once you determine which firewire connection you have on your system, you can then decide which firewire cable to get. This will connect your camera to your pc. Here are the 2 types of cables to choose from: 4 pin to 4pin or a 6 pin to 4 pin.

Once you have your camera connected to your pc, you can open Premiere, create an HDV project that matches the footage that you shot. Then open the capture window (shortcut F5). You will see camera control options in the capture window. TYou will control your camera from here. You simply click the play button, and your camera should start playing. Simply click the red record button, and you'll then be capturing your footage into pc in realtime. When you want to stop importing, click the stop icon, and then name your video clip. You can then close the capture window and you can start editing.

This is a very basic overview, but it should be enough to get you started.

Let me know if you have any other questions.