Thread: Newbie: How best to "merge" 2 video clips..

Default Newbie: How best to "merge" 2 video clips..

My problem is:-

I have an audio track which is a recorded song.
    I have two video clips about 6 mins long of the artist singing along to the "recorded" audio - not lip synching but nearly doing so (if you get what I mean). These 2 videos are taken from different viewpoints - to give some variety to the end product ( close up, gtr & vocal, guitar close up etc)

I want to create a video that shows the singer coming in and out at the appropriate point in the song - I can synch it ok - and will be intercutting it with additional "outside" footage clips to help tell the story.

I know I could create a load of subclips and intersperse these through the "master track" but that would be time consuming and would mean re-synching all the time.

I have got the two 6 minute vids onto the timeline as seperate tracks. Is there a way I can - at various points - make selected parts of the "overlay" video come in and out of the master?

In other words a quick way to edit the video to give me the final result I am after!

I think it may be masks? or parent child attributes I need? - but tried reading online help and I am confused!

I am sorry I have not explained this very well - but if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

I am using Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD production 10

Thanks

John

The answer is a lot more simple. Put the two track on the time line one above the other and line them up so they are both in sync with the main audio. You can either split the top track and slide it along until you want the top track etc.... OR you can use the multicamera mode found in the tools menu. I'm sure the Vegas help will tell you better than I can how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    The answer is a lot more simple. Put the two track on the time line one above the other and line them up so they are both in sync with the main audio. You can either split the top track and slide it along until you want the top track etc.... OR you can use the multicamera mode found in the tools menu. I'm sure the Vegas help will tell you better than I can how to use it.
    Thanks for reply Midnight..but couple of points :-

1) My tools menu (or help) does not have a multicamera mode

2) How do I determine when I want the video on track 1 to show then track 2 to show etc...without splitting the track up? Is there someway I can (on a 6 minute video clip) selectively pick say 10 secs here ...then 5 secs there.....to display on the main video of the timeline. IN other words is it possible to select within a clip 0% opacity then 100%opacity and back again?

I realise I am not explaining this very well - so apologies!!!

Thanks

John

My bad I keep thinking Vegas Pro is exactly the same as HD Studio. I guess only the Pro version has the Multicam option. There may be some third party plug in that you can use to the same effect as the multicam mode but I don't what it is some once mentioned it on the forum but sadly due to my age or just an over flow of information on here I don't know what or where it is.

If you can't locate that, you can still use my first suggestion. line up both clips on different tracks. Split the top track and slide the end, to the right, to the point where you want the top track to appear then let that run until you want the bottom track and split the top track again and slide the end of the clip to the point where you want the top track to appear again and so on. As you are not moving either track there are always in sinc with each other.

Midnight - I have my 2 clips and audio set up as you describe above.

you can still use my first suggestion. line up both clips on different tracks. Split the top track and slide the end, to the right, to the point where you want the top track to appear then let that run until you want the bottom track and split the top track again and slide the end of the clip to the point where you want the top track to appear again and so on. As you are not moving either track there are always in sinc with each other.

When you say "slide the end" do you mean (If I have done a split I now have 2 clips on Top track) the end of left hand clip or end of right hand clip? Because unless I leave a "gap" in top track - then bottom track will not be visible - as top track has priority? I think I have done a screen dump so you can see what I have on my Vegas?

Will keep experimenting until I hear from you!!

Sorry to be a pain!

Cheers

John
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/John/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]

Usually you split the track at the point where you want the clip below to start, so slide the end of the right hand clip to the point where you want the top track to come back in. I put it this way as I didn't want you to slide the whole clip along the time line as it would then be out of sync. Just keep doing this along the time line with splits along the top track at the point where you want the bottom track to be visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Usually you split the track at the point where you want the clip below to start, so slide the end of the right hand clip to the point where you want the top track to come back in. I put it this way as I didn't want you to slide the whole clip along the time line as it would then be out of sync. Just keep doing this along the time line with splits along the top track at the point where you want the bottom track to be visible.
    Penny has finally dropped!! DUHH!!

By jove I think I have got it now!!

As always - much appreciated.