Thread: Not responding on preview in Sony Vegas 9.0e

Default Not responding on preview in Sony Vegas 9.0e

If I work too much on the time line in Vegas, a loading icon will appear and eventually the program will say it's not responding. I'm using AVIs and MTS files and have about 40 clips, mostly about 15 minutes long. I believe the problem occurs more with MTS files but still occurs with the AVIs too. Only about two or three of the clips in my project aren't raw files.

I've tried to reduce the RAM on preview in preferences > video from 350MB to 200MB but that's not made any discernable difference.

The error details are:

Extra Information
    File: C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Sony\Vegas Pro\9.0\dx_video_grovel_x86.log
    File: C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Sony\Vegas Pro\9.0\dx_grovel_x86.log
    File: C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Sony\Vegas Pro\9.0\vst_grovel.log
    File: C:\Users\John\Desktop\best of ccw.veg

Problem Description
    Application Name: Vegas Pro
    Application Version: Version 9.0e (Build 1147)
    Problem: Unmanaged Exception (0xc0000005)
    Fault Module: C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 9.0\FileIO Plug-Ins\compoundplug\mcstdh264dec.dll
    Fault Address: 0x4B19C314
    Fault Offset: 0x0000C314

Fault Process Details
    Process Path: C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 9.0\vegas90.exe
    Process Version: Version 9.0e (Build 1147)
    Process Description: Vegas Pro
    Process Image Date: 2010-05-12 (Wed May 12) 12:12:24

My specs for my PC are:

Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit
    Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
    4GB RAM
    About 400GB out of 500GB free on my internal hard drives.
    About 1TB out of 2TB free on my external hard drive (where the project file and all clips are stored).
    nVidia GeForce GT 120

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my Vegas struggles to last 5 minutes without having to close at the moment.

Just to clarify are you saying you have about 10 hour of video on the time line
    40 clips, mostly about 15 minutes long.
    This seems a lot for one go have you thought of splitting the project up.

The error message indicates that there is a problem with the AVC/H.264 Video Decoder which means you can probably narrow down the problem to the clips using this codec so the .avi files are ok. I don't know enough about this sort of thing to know what the actual problem is with it but I hope this helps get you started on your way to a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Just to clarify are you saying you have about 10 hour of video on the time line

This seems a lot for one go have you thought of splitting the project up.

The error message indicates that there is a problem with the AVC/H.264 Video Decoder which means you can probably narrow down the problem to the clips using this codec so the .avi files are ok. I don't know enough about this sort of thing to know what the actual problem is with it but I hope this helps get you started on your way to a solution.
    When you put it that way, I suppose it could be about ten hours of footage! It's a 'Best of' video. I have thought about splitting it up but likely I'll be using clips from lots of different matches. What would you imagine I could do about the codec? The MTS files are from a HD camcorder. I'm not going to be rendering in HD but would like to keep a good video quality from them in my PAL DV Widescreen project. Should I convert the HD files to 720x576 AVI?

Like I said I'm no expert with this sort of thing and more investigation needs to be done to see if it is something like a bad clip, corrupt frames etc. Or a more general problem with the codec or just the project is huge and Vegas is protesting that it's not getting enough help from the computer system. Although your computer specs seem fine.

I would be tempted to split the project down. After all you are not going to get 10 hour of video on one DVD so wouldn't it be better to do the project one DVD at a time. I'm just saying thats how I would do it but I don't know your situation or work flow. If all else fails you could try your solution of converting the .mts files to .avi (I am presuming the .avi files are just standard DV)

Good luck