Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: British Cars & Lifestyle

1. Default British Cars & Lifestyle

This video shows all the classic mistakes of a new person to video. Every shot is either a zoom or a pan ie the camera is doing all the moving. Try thinking of the camera being still and the movement happens in front of the camera. I know when you are shooting a static object, like a car, there is no movement but that just makes the challenge more interesting to shoot an interesting angle, how does it look with the background, are there any curvaceous women to lay on the bonnet etc.

I'm not saying you should never move the camera but I am saying not on every shot. It is an error I often make myself. When you do move the camera have a purpose for the movement and a known start and stop point for a pan (unless you are following sports action etc.) I see you kind of did this some times but a lot of he camera work looks un-thought out.

The other thing I thought let the video down was the lack of atmosphere which could be due to not ambient sounds and the sound track you have is a little dull. The other thing I would have done personally is made the white balance a little less yellow.

I'm not saying this is all bad because it does have some good moments. BUT it does have room for improvement.

Alright, hi, so I guess you'd rather see people talking about what's wrong in the video and what needs to be improved, it'll be rather short for me

1. length
    the vid is waaaay too long, I think for such content, you'll lose the interest after 3minutes or so, honnestly I didn't watch it entirely as I got bored, and I'm a real car enthusiast. or at least, for your 2nd track, you should have picked something more dynamic as a music, along with a slightly different theme (maybe some scenes of rolling cars or partying people)

2. technique
    the only thing I can think about are those awful zoom in/out sequences, they're not smooth enough and some are really too fast

other than that, the images are nice, the theme is very good, but again, 3 minutes vid would be plenty enough

as a reference, here is a car related vid that I really like

I think the zoom and camera movement has been cover sufficiently however I have noticed this that it stutters badly when I do it too its something to do with the digital info and compression data rate on the video,... It is possible to get smooth zoom when editing video in a good editor. Right, I was looking out for the Land Rover. Yes it was there but being as it is a very big icon in the UK car history it wasn't covered hardly. I did notice though it wasn't and old one so you are let off the hook!!!...

I thought the video was too long but perhaps if you had made it into a documentary then it would have worked better. I love cars and would as most people do on you tube suffer the juddering zoom and wide camera movement to see the cars. More low shots and pulled focuses. Watch some car programmes like top gear or fifth gear to get ideas on what convensions they are setting. I am still learning too BTW...

Quote Originally Posted by hadoq View Post
    A
    1. length
    the vid is waaaay too long, I think for such content, you'll lose the interest after 3minutes or so, honnestly I didn't watch it entirely as I got bored, and I'm a real car enthusiast. or at least, for your 2nd track, you should have picked something more dynamic as a music, along with a slightly different theme (maybe some scenes of rolling cars or partying people)

]
    Dude how long was that video you posted?.... I liked that one but was starting to feel sea sick with the amount of camera movement.. ( perhaps I am getting old?)

Quote Originally Posted by TFV View Post
    Dude how long was that video you posted?.... I liked that one but was starting to feel sea sick with the amount of camera movement.. ( perhaps I am getting old?)
    I think the vid I posted is a good example of a long car vid that doesn't get boring due to the variety of scenes. Long didn't really mean "long" technically, there are some 3h movies that feel like they only last 20 minutes, as there are 5 minutes clips that never end. I think it's a matter of content and rythm more than actual length

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TFV View Post
    ..but perhaps if you had made it into a documentary then it would have worked better.
    Much agreement from me on that point. So many videos don't have any narrative to engage the viewer,and this is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    Much agreement from me on that point. So many videos don't have any narrative to engage the viewer,and this is one of them.
    I think a documentary on that subject would be immensely interesting... Gotta ask though, What were the Dutch doing there???

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    that sounds like an AWESOME project, british cars are awesome ! (pretty much british everything cultural is awesome!)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hadoq View Post
    that sounds like an AWESOME project, british cars are awesome ! (pretty much british everything cultural is awesome!)
    Maybe someone could send you a documentary about British chav culture. That'll soon change your mind!
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast