Thread: Filming in public

Default Filming in public

Hi all,

This is almost certainly in the wrong place, and I apologise for that but for some reason General Discussion was not accepting new posts from me.

I am due to film a short review of a local restaurant tomorrow, for use on their website. There are likely to be customers eating at the time, and I am worried about the legality of these customers appearing in the film.

If the restaurant put a sign on the door that informs customers of the filming, and instructs them to ask the waiter if they wish to be seated outside of the filming area, is that sufficient? Or, as I am dreading, do I have to get each and every customer to sign a release form?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Blog Entries

If I was you Mike I'd encourage the owner to have an invited bunch of diners who know what's what - and will therefore do the approriate smiling and so on. I've done this once before and it's amazing how happy people can be when there's free nosh and a bottle of plonk on offer.

I agree with Andy on the best option but it's probabley to late for that now so your suggestion of a notice on the door is enough. You could do with a few punters in your shots, so giving them the offer of seating outside the film area may backfire.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I might do the sign on the door, and ask the waiters to encourage people to be in the shot by bribing them with booze!

Thanks again for your feedback, it's much appreciated.