Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVDA 5.0 - how can I change AC3 audio bit rate?

Default DVDA 5.0 - how can I change AC3 audio bit rate?

I'm trying out DVD Architect Studio 5.0 and would like to change the bit rate of AC3 audio on a dvd. I can see there are options for that in the Optimize window - I can set the bit rate for every movie clip separately. Only there is one problem - it doesn't work! Whatever bit rate I select it is remembered in my project but it's not actually used in the resulting dvd. PowerDVD always reports audio bit rate of 192kbps. When I change audio bit rate in DVDA I can see that the estimated dvd size gets updated but in natural fact the resulting size of VITEO_TS folder is always the same regardless of audio bit rate setting.

My input videos are uncompress avi, compressed avi and mpegs from digital cameras. For AC3 Stereo the output bit rate is always 192kbps in the final dvd.

Is this a bug in DVDA or am I doing something wrong? Does this setting work in your case? I have asked sony support but they don't respond, and their forum won't let me post anything - probably because I haven't purchased the program yet...

Are you setting the bit rate in the project properties to what you want. Is there a problem with 192 bit rate.

There's no problem with 192 bit rate, I'm just wondering why I can't change it if the program clearly provides such an option. Sometimes I might want to use it.

I tried setting bit rate both in project properties and individually for each clip (in the Optimize window) and nothing really worked.

I've never come across this problem sorry I can't help further.

I think 192 k is the standard the slider to make video fit the dvd adjusts the video only, if you use PCM even less video will fit on the DVD

If you have rendered in Sony Vegas then try changing the template there, also render out as a MPEG2 (no audio) it will transcode quicker then DVD-A and probably better.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I've never come across this problem sorry I can't help further.
    You've never come across because you've never tried setting the bit rate or it simply works? I'm curious wether it's something with my system/installation or a problem that happens for everyone. If you set AC3 stereo to a bit rate other than 192 k is this bit rate really applied for the resulting dvd video? Of course, I'm talking about the case where DVDA compresses the audio stream and is not being given a compliant mpeg-2 file.

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    If you have rendered in Sony Vegas then try changing the template there, also render out as a MPEG2 (no audio) it will transcode quicker then DVD-A and probably better.
    Thanks, but I don't have Vegas, my needs are simple and I just need an dvd authoring program. I do my editing in Avisynth and VirtualDub and I simply want a decent program to put the avi's together on a dvd.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lemon_juice View Post
    ..I'm just wondering why I can't change it if the program clearly provides such an option...
    DVDa doesn't provide any options to alter AC3 bit rate that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    DVDa doesn't provide any options to alter AC3 bit rate that I know of.
    File -> Optimize Disc - under the Audio tab there are Recompress Settings where you choose audio format and bit rate.

These audio options are greyed out on the version I have and the only way of changing the bit rate is the project properties. I've never tried to change them as 192 is pretty standard but playing around with it just now I can change the setting in the project properties if I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    These audio options are greyed out on the version I have and the only way of changing the bit rate is the project properties. I've never tried to change them as 192 is pretty standard but playing around with it just now I can change the setting in the project properties if I want.
    I can change the settings, too, the problem is are they really used?

When you select an individual clip in the optimize window and choose "Audio format" other than "From project", then the bit rate is no longer greyed out and can be changed. Anyway, no matter were I change it, it is not applied in the final video.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast