Thread: Sony Vegas 10 rendering problem: Video frame size not supported

Default Sony Vegas 10 rendering problem: Video frame size not supported

Everything went smoothly while I was editing but when I went to render this message popped up saying that the video frame size is not supported. I have no idea what it means so I was hoping someone would know here. Before I list a lot of details i'll say now that there are images as well as videos in this project. I don't know if that is relevant but there you go.

Source media
    Game footage recorded with Fraps
    File type: .avi
    Resolution: 1680x1050

Project Properties

Template: Custom
    Width/Height: 1680x1050
    Field Order: None
    Pixel aspect ratio: 1 (Square)
    Frame rate: 29.970
    Pixel Format: 8-bit
    Full resolution rendering quality: Good
    Deinterlace method: Blend fields
    The option to adjust source media to better match project or render settings is ticked

Rendering details
    Save as: Windows Media Video V11
    I made a custom template.
    Mode: CBR
    Format: Windows Media Video 9
    Image size: Keep original size (1680x1050)
    Pixel aspect ratio: 1 (square)
    Frame rate: 30
    Video smoothness: 90

A couple of things. What is the size of your photos there is a limit to the size of photos you can use I believe. What is the reason for choosing 1680 x 1050 image size. Have you got a super duper wide screen telly.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    A couple of things. What is the size of your photos there is a limit to the size of photos you can use I believe. What is the reason for choosing 1680 x 1050 image size. Have you got a super duper wide screen telly.
    There are multiple images of different sizes. The image sizes are as follows:
    480x270
    511x337
    500x410
    500x667
    800x600

For all of them I unticked "Maintain aspect ratio" so that I could fit them to the full screen. Could that be what is possibly causing the problem? I chose 1680 x 1050 because when I originally tried to render it as 1280x720 I get a different error message saying that the template is invalid. The video is intended for Youtube in 720p. I'm pretty much a newbie (as it probably is apparant here) when it comes to this.

These images are not very big so that's not the problem. Set your project properties to HDV 720-30p. Render the project using the ready made template from the MainConcept mpeg-2 format. Choose the HDV 720-30p template, this should just work out of the box, don't use a customised template. (I presume you are in an NTSC area). If this doesn't work that narrows down the problem to the content on the time line and not the render settings.

Your images will be distorted if you choose to stretch them to fill the frame. If you would like them to not be stretched you could use the pan/crop tool and click on 16:9 widescreen preset. This will crop the top and bottom of the image, so you may wish to raise or lower the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    These images are not very big so that's not the problem. Set your project properties to HDV 720-30p. Render the project using the ready made template from the MainConcept mpeg-2 format. Choose the HDV 720-30p template, this should just work out of the box, don't use a customised template. (I presume you are in an NTSC area). If this doesn't work that narrows down the problem to the content on the time line and not the render settings.

Your images will be distorted if you choose to stretch them to fill the frame. If you would like them to not be stretched you could use the pan/crop tool and click on 16:9 widescreen preset. This will crop the top and bottom of the image, so you may wish to raise or lower the box.
    I think the problem here was when I looked for tutorials on Youtube on making a HD Widescreen video. They did more harm than good, telling me to set up a custom template rather than a pre-existing one. Problem solved, many thanks to you.

It's ok to make custom templates if you know what your doing. Even now I fiddle about with the templates a little tweak here and a little tweak there and I sometimes get crashes and hangs.

Glad this worked for you.