Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Effects not working in Vegas Movie Studio

Default Effects not working in Vegas Movie Studio

I have Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum Ver 10.0 running under Win 7 Professional 64-bit.

I am trying to make my first slideshow and I cannot get Effects to work. As per pp 21-22 of the manual I start a new project, put the cursor at the beginning of the Video Timeline and Insert -> Slideshow. I put pictures (jpegs) into the Slideshow Creator box and choose the Settings tab where I set the Time Per Picture to 4 sec, the Overlap to 1 sec and Effect to Fades with Zoom (no particular reasons for this choice of settings - simply trying the software out). I then click Create to put the pictures on the Video Timeline and close the Creator Box.

When I preview the project the pictures show up one after the other but they cut straight from one picture to the next; there is no sign of any effect. What am I doing wrong?

Blog Entries

Try previewing in lower quality or render it and look at that. My guess is that there's too much going on in the transitions for your CPU to keep up.
    If the rendered output is OK but you're still not seeing any of the effect in the preview, I guess you've got FX bypassed on the previwe window. (Button above the preview witha bisected circle on it)
    Tim

Thanks for the reply. I've tried both reducing the preview quality to draft and selectively pre-rendering without any effect. I still get a sharp cut between slideshow pictures with no signs of any transitions.

I do not have a button as described by you related to FX Bypass. The nearest I can see above the Preview window is a narrow, vertical, green rectangle with a small circle on each side. Hovering the cursor over it identifies it as Video Output FX. Right clicking on it gives me a choice of a number of possible plugins, but none of them seem to be related to the transitions that you would use in a slideshow.

Have you checked that the clips are over lapping each other. It could be the slideshow creator just didn't work properly.

They overlap. I confirmed this by creating a slideshow of 3 jpegs in Timeline 3 with the default values of 3 sec per clip & 1 sec overlap. I then dragging the second jpeg up vertically into timeline 2 where it showed as starting at 2 seconds, that is a 1 sec overlap with jpeg 1 and then dragging the third jpeg up vertically to Timelin1 which showed it starting at 4 sec, that is a 1 sec overlap with with jpeg 2.

The above times are exactly as would be expected with the settings used in the slideshow creator. However, when I previewed the project jpeg 1 started, then after 2 sec jpeg 2 cut in without any transition and at 4 sec jpeg 3 cut in without any transition.

So, the slideshow has been created properly, the pictures come up at the right times but there are no transitions.

It's time for you to give us a screengrab of your Timeline showing clearly your Events and the exact overlap. Without this we are offering advice blindly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    I do not have a button as described by you related to FX Bypass. The nearest I can see above the Preview window is a narrow, vertical, green rectangle with a small circle on each side. Hovering the cursor over it identifies it as Video Output FX.
    You must have. It's between the button yo describe and the drop down for quality.
    As Grazie says. time for a screengrab.

EDIT: I'm wrong. Igmnre the above. Vegas Pro only.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 03-20-2011 at 08:47 PM.
    Tim

OK, I have attached a screen dump. I have moved pictures 2 & 3 up vertically from their original position on the Video timeline 3 so that the overlap is clear.

The settings in the Slideshow Creator were:Time per picture: 3.00 Sec
    Effect: News Flash
    Overlap: 1.00 sec
    Attached Images Attached Images

Put all the photos on the same track and over lap them or put a fade at the begining and end of each clip. The clips in your example are not overlaped over each other. They are just above and below each other on the time line.

Blog Entries

A picture paints a thousand words. To clarify what Midnight is telling you, Vegas works on the basis that whatever is shown on the top track has priority. Then the next track (track 2) then the next (track 3) etc, (assuming you haven't played with opacity).
    So in your example track 3 will be seen until 00:02, then track 2 until 00:4 then track 1 until 00:07, then track 2 again.
    As midnight says, to dissolve, overlap the events on one track. To turn the dissolve into a differebt transition, drag that the transition onto the dissolve.

And, stone the crows, you're right - you have no FX Bypass. I could ahve sworn I had it in Movie Studio, but I didn't. Apologies.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast