Thread: Need help merging 720p intro + 840*524 footage

Default Need help merging 720p intro + 840*524 footage

I've been searching the forums for a while now, but haven't found much about my problem. Feel free to move this post if i'm in the wrong place.

So I started a new project in Premiere Elements. It let's you choose the 'project resolution' at the start. I chose 1080p (as I always do).
    After rendering the edited footage. It appears i have the "textboxing" and "pillarboxing" issue (black bars horizontally and vertically). I tried different sizes and formats to no avail.
    I now have noticed that the source videos have a resolution of 840 * 524... . There is also an ident (small intro) we use, that has a resolution of 720p which needs to be added at the start.
    I really hope there's a way to solve this problem without having to redo the whole project as I have worked 5 hours on this one.

So in short:
    - Is it possible that, having chosen 1080p in the beginning of the project and adding 840*524 videos is causing the problem?
    - Does the combination of 840*524 videos + 720p intro causing this problem?
    and is there a way to solve this without having to start all over?

thanks in advance !

The problem is your setting your project at a higher resolution than either of the clips you're using, that's why your getting the black bars, to compensate for the difference in size.

Thank you for the quick response. Would you happen to know how to change the project settings or IF it's even possible to do that?

I don't use Premier elements so I can't really tell you the ins and outs, but you mention that you choose the project resolution to be 1080p, well it's at that point you want to change it to a smaller resolution to suit for footage. Is there a drop down menu that lets you choose different resolutions for your project?

I don't think it's the size so much it's more to do with the aspect ratios been the same. I don't use Premier so I can't say how to adjust the settings but I'm sure others can assist. 840 x 524 is not 16:9 aspect ratio but 1280 x 720 is. This could mean you will get a letter box on the 840 size clips if Premier is not told to match the clips.

That's right martchap. the only thing is, i'm afraid i won't be able to change the project settings of an already edited project.

I hope anyone who is using Elemenst would be able to help me.
    Thanks for clarifying my problem, martchap.

This may be a stupid question, but I'm having issues with aspect ratio in Premiere Pro CS5. I am in the UK so use the Widescreen 16:9 PAL project default settings. Everything displays fine in the sequence and the videos look fine, but when I export, retaining the 720x576 settings, it squeezes the video to what looks like 4:3 when you play it in any player. If 720x576 isn't widescreen, why is it the default option when creating a new widescreen project? Any answers would be a massive help, I've torn out all but two of the hairs on my head!

It sounds like a pixel size problem with your rendering settings. ie you must have it set on square pixels it needs to be anamorphic or widescreen or 16:9 or what ever Premier uses for the pixel size setting. I use Sony Vegas so I can't tell you how to do it but that sounds like the area you need to look in.