Thread: What is correct aspect ratio to view DVD on wide screen TV in UK?

Default What is correct aspect ratio to view DVD on wide screen TV in UK?

In Project>Properties>Template, what should the settings be in order to watch the completed DVD on a wide screen TV in the UK?

I think I have the incorrect settings in the work I have so far completed as it is NTSC Video CD which I think is the setting for USA. Am I correct?

But if I change to any other setting, then there are black bands down either side of the picture in the preview window.

WHat should I do?

Blog Entries

In the UK we use PAL. You should have a template called PAL DV Widescreen.

However, if your video is HD, them match your Project Template to that (or, if you have a mix of formats, the one which is most common) and worry aboyt the format for the DVD when you come to render. This is beciuse it is normally best to do all your editing in HD and only "downscale" to the 720 x 576 widescreen DVD format at the final stage in your workflow.
    Tim

Thanks once again for the help. The video was taken on an old analogue camera and digitised through the present JVC camcorder (not HD).
    Last night I selected the whole event and changed it to PAL DV Widescreen and most of it was OK.

But every now and then I would come across an edited part that was OK and the next frame (and I do mean frame as in a fraction of a second later) it would revert to the black lines down the sides, yet the setting for the whole event was meant to be PAL DV Widescreen. It is really weird.

I changed it all and saved it but when I went back to it, it had reverted back to the 2 black lines again. When you use the pan/crop tool to adjust the picture is there a way of saving what you have just done? I couldn't find any so I was just clicking the X and coming out of it.

Whose idea was it that I should get this programme?
    Seriously, if it weren't for the problems I have had I would find it a very enjoyable programme to use.

The pan/crop freezing that I experienced in the first timeline I worked on doesn't appear to be in the one I am working on now. This make me wonder if it NOT the programme at fault but PERHAPS, something to do with the fact that it is old VHS video that has been digitised. But that wouldbn't explain the message when I open it saying it can't find a 'nested object'. That message dosn't come up in this timeline......YET.
    Ever onward. It will come right some day. Many thanks again for your help.

When you use the pan/crop tool to adjust the picture is there a way of saving what you have just done? I couldn't find any so I was just clicking the X and coming out of it.
    This is one of the things that puzzled me a tad when I first moved to Vegas. There isn't a 'save' as such. Just make the adjustment and click (X) out of it. It will retain whatever you've done. To go back to the original state, right click/restore.

Does the strange black bar thing show itself when playing the original footage? If so, does it show in Windows media player?

Default Black bars on either side of picture.

Thank you for your help.

The black bars do not appear in the original footage nor do they appear in Winows Movie Maker, where I had already edited some of this event before moving to Vegas Movie Studio.

HOWEVER, it becomes even more complicated, I opened a brand new timeline and imported the part of the event where I was having the problems with the black bars and by some miracle they have disappered (in the new timeline) but are still there in the one I was working on.

I give up!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    This is one of the things that puzzled me a tad when I first moved to Vegas. There isn't a 'save' as such. Just make the adjustment and click (X) out of it. It will retain whatever you've done. To go back to the original state, right click/restore.

Does the strange black bar thing show itself when playing the original footage? If so, does it show in Windows media player?