Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aspect Ratio different in two halves of one event but settings identical.

Default Aspect Ratio different in two halves of one event but settings identical.

The first half of the event I have on my timeline looks correct in the preview window then all of a sudden the aspect ratio changes so that there are black bars down either side of the picture in the preview window.

The settings below the the picture in the preview window are identical in both sets of pictures (the correct ones and the ones with the black bands.) The settings are as follows:-

Project: 1920x1080x32, 25,000i
    Preview: 1920x1080x32, 25,000i Display 519x292x32

How can the settings be identical and yet the pictures look so different? What am I doing wrong?
    Please, please, someone help me as I am just so fed up of all the things that are going wrong with this programme and no help whatsoever from Sony.

Blog Entries

What is the aspect ratio of the original footage? Vegas will try to maintain that. It sounds like the later clips are recorded in 4:3. You haven't suggested the picture lookes squashed so this is most likely the case.
    Tim

How would I know what the original aspect ratio is? If it was recorded on analogue VHS video it is likely to be 4:3 isn't it.

The picture is not squashed.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    What is the aspect ratio of the original footage? Vegas will try to maintain that. It sounds like the later clips are recorded in 4:3. You haven't suggested the picture lookes squashed so this is most likely the case.

Blog Entries

To avoid guessing, I can recommend downloading and installing a free program called GSpot. If you open your clip with GSpot that will tell you all sorts of useful info about the clip including codec info, pixel aspect ratio, screen aspect ratio.
    As you are working with digitised VHS footage, we can only speculate as to how the program which digitized it deal with it.

If you are viewing in widescreen and there are no vertical black bars (sometimes called "pillar boxing") and the original VHS footage was 4:3 and there's no stretching then either (a) the program wich digitized the image zoomed in on the original image to fill the width of the 16:9 frame or (b) the program left the image as 4:3 and Vegas is zooming in to do the same. Either way the top and the bottom ofthe origibnal image has been cut off. It is unlikely that Vegas has done this cropping as by default it will attempt to show the whole image (with pillarboxing) and leave it up to you to crop.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Does the apparent "aspect ratio" always change at exactly the same frame? It is highly unlikely (I'd go as far as to suggest impossible) that Vegas can change this mid-event. I suspect that this is in the source file (the digitized VHS material)

What happens when you play the same clip in Windows Media player or orther media players?
    Tim

Thank you once again for your help.

I will answer your last question first. When I play the same clip in Windows Movie Maker, there is no problem, i.e. no black bars, no stretching.

But it is now further complicated in that I opened a completely new timeline and imported the part with all the aspect ratio problems and hey presto! the black bands have disappeared. It seems that any problems I have disappear each time I open a new timeline only to be repalced by a new problem!!!!

Now to go back to your previous question, the aspect ratio DOES change at the same frame each time and in a particular clip you can actually see the picture change as if it is going in and out. In the space of 70 frames the ratio changes about 30 times - it's difficult to count.

Now to go back to to your original suggestion that it may have been the programme that digitised it that may be the cause of the problems. I didn't use a programme as such to digitise it, I used my camera.

Very briefly what I did was, connect the camcorder to the video player to with the S/AV connector, play the old VHS tape in the video player, set the camcorder to 'AV in' and therefore the contents of the analogue tape were recorded onto the mini dv in the camcorder. I then imported it into the computer in the normal way using a firewire.

I am going to delete the clip with all the ratio problems and bring it onto the timeline again to see if that cures it.

I am fast going off this programme and if I could just get one more audio timeline in Windows Movie maker I would carry on from where I left off with it.

Peg.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PegMac View Post
    Thank you once again for your help.
    I will answer your last question first. When I play the same clip in Windows Movie Maker, there is no problem, i.e. no black bars, no stretching.
    But do they appear as 4:3 or 16:9?

We still do not know what the source material is.

But it is now further complicated in that I opened a completely new timeline and imported the part with all the aspect ratio problems and hey presto! the black bands have disappeared. It seems that any problems I have disappear each time I open a new timeline only to be repalced by a new problem!!!!
    Now I'm really scratching my head

Now to go back to to your original suggestion that it may have been the programme that digitised it that may be the cause of the problems. I didn't use a programme as such to digitise it, I used my camera.
    OK I should have used a broader term. Whether it's a program running on your PC or within your camera, it's still a program.

I am going to delete the clip with all the ratio problems and bring it onto the timeline again to see if that cures it.
    I don't suppose there's any way you can send me a copy of this clip? Maybe via some file sharing site? I'm feeling personally responsivble, having persuateded you to persevere with Vegas.
    Tim

Sounds impossible doesn't it Tim? I'd love to see an example too. Not much chance of getting to the bottom of it otherwise.

Default Answers and some success

Thank you for your reply.

Answers to your questions as follows:-

The aspect ratio of the original is 4:3

I now understand what you meant by the programme that digitised the analogue footage being either in the camera or the computer. Yes, it was within the camera it was digitised.

I do not know how to send you a clip but I have had some success and this is what I did.

As the part of the event that was the wrong ratio was relatively short (not half the event as I originally thought) I clicked on the pan/crop tool and went along each clip, keyframe by keyframe. I watched the preset dropdown box and when it was the wrong ratio it changed from 'default' to 'untitled'. I clicked on it and changed it to 'default' and that got rid of the black bars. I did that all the way along until it no longer had black bars.

I have no idea why that part should be different as it was taken with the same camera, digitised in the same way and so on. There was nothing different about it as far as I could see. Did I click something somewhere, I wonder?

I hope that it is now corrected and doesn't happen again and although I have no idea why it happened I know how to correct it with relative, though painstakingly slow, ease.

Until the next problem, many thanks for your interest.

What next problem, there won't be any - positive thinking!!!!

Peg.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    But do they appear as 4:3 or 16:9?

We still do not know what the source material is.

Now I'm really scratching my head

OK I should have used a broader term. Whether it's a program running on your PC or within your camera, it's still a program.

I don't suppose there's any way you can send me a copy of this clip? Maybe via some file sharing site? I'm feeling personally responsivble, having persuateded you to persevere with Vegas.

Thank you for your interest, too, Archie. You will see my reply to Tim's questions and how I resolved it.

I have had quite a few problems since I started using this programme and I am looking forward to working on the 4th year of my project to see if it is any more straightforward.

The project is a six year one creating a garden from a wilderness and the first 3 years were filmed using a VHS Analoue camera and digitised but the remaining 3 years have been filmed with the digital camcorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Sounds impossible doesn't it Tim? I'd love to see an example too. Not much chance of getting to the bottom of it otherwise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast