Thread: WorldWideLaugh Contest - Locked Out

1. Post WorldWideLaugh Contest - Locked Out

Hey guys!
    I made this video for the "World Wide Laugh" contest. The challenge was to make a video that could make people laugh without using verbal language of any kind. To "break the language barrier". It also had to show the triumph of achieving a goal.

The video is only 2 minutes long so if you could take a look and give me some feedback that would be awesome!

It was shot on a Sony NEX-5 and edited with Final Cut.

Thanks!
    Luke
    YouTube - sleightlyprismatic's Channel

Not bad. I see you made an effort to get a variety of angles and different shots. I was put off a bit when you got the metal detector over the grate as the whole thing is metal. I know it's just a silly video to make people laugh but look at the work of Mr Been he gets into these situations but always keeps in the bounds of reality'ish. Having said that although I didn't find it really funny I thought you did a good job with it. (I don't really like Mr Been humour).

Well done.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Not bad. I see you made an effort to get a variety of angles and different shots. I was put off a bit when you got the metal detector over the grate as the whole thing is metal. I know it's just a silly video to make people laugh but look at the work of Mr Been he gets into these situations but always keeps in the bounds of reality'ish. Having said that although I didn't find it really funny I thought you did a good job with it. (I don't really like Mr Been humour).

Well done.
    Thanks for the feedback! Regarding the metal detector i actually thought that part through (how the grate was already metal and it's nonsense that the metal detector would work) but i understand how that wouldn't be funny to everyone.

thanks for sharing your thoughts though!

Blog Entries

Whilst it was only 2 min, I did feel it could have benefitted from some tighter editing. towards the end.
    Nice motiontracking with the hole in he grate (how much easier it would have nbeen if that had been a tripos shot) Great ending.
    Tim

I liked the general idea, but agree that the editing needs tightened up. The 2 minute length is a strange issue, because of the editing I felt that it seemed too long, but it isn't necessarily the case.

Laurel and Hardy could have succesfully made a 20 minute film out of the same scanario, but if the situation arose in "My Name is Earl or "Scrubs", it would probably have been, succesfully, dealt with in 2 or 3 shots.

The "different strokes for different folks" thing, when related to comedy will always arise, I thought the metal detector was the only funny bit.

I also think the hand held camera work was too eratic, and the out of focus shots were no good. The "sucessful"use of these techniques isn't as random as you might think, when they are used like this they just cause uncomfortable viewing.

But I do think it was worth offering advice on.

David.
    Last edited by david walsh; 03-15-2011 at 10:26 AM.

6. Post

Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    I liked the general idea, but agree that the editing needs tightened up. The 2 minute length is a strange issue, because of the editing I felt that it seemed too long, but it isn't necessarily the case.

Laurel and Hardy could have succesfully made a 20 minute film out of the same scanario, but if the situation arose in "My Name is Earl or "Scrubs", it would probably have been, succesfully, dealt with in 2 or 3 shots.

The "different strokes for different folks" thing, when related to comedy will always arise, I thought the metal detector was the only funny bit.

I also think the hand held camera work was too eratic, and the out of focus shots were no good. The "sucessful"use of these techniques isn't as random as you might think, when they are used like this they just cause uncomfortable viewing.

But I do think it was worth offering advice on.

David.
    Thanks for the feedback.. I think it really is different strokes for different folks when it comes to any type of comedy...

The camerawork could use improvement i admit. It was my 12 year old sister.. Not a good excuse though because i could have worked harder getting more stable/in-focus shots..

Thanks,
    SleightlyPrismatic