Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First VFX Test Reel - Please critique

Default My First VFX Test Reel - Please critique

I edited these test effects based on VideoCoPilot Tut's and a few original ideas. It was my first time using After Effects in an attempt to learn the software.

Criticism is encourage, thanks

Blog Entries

Nice job actually. I often see these threads and think "Oh no more laser beams and muzzle flashes". But it's good to see the FX used (particularly on the riverside shots) for a definate useful purpose. The switch from day to night is particularly well done.

The only part I thought was a 'pants' was your own logo at the end.... I'm sure you can improve on that.

I really liked your lightning strike/riverside shots too. The bullet holes on the car all matched upp very well, position wise, but I didn't feel they were really part of the same picture, I don't think the composite merged as well as it should.

Thanks for posting it,

Am I missing something here. What's that first, badly framed, shot of the dull grey sky for?

David.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    ..What's that first, badly framed, shot of the dull grey sky for?...
    That was the background for the rain and roof fire that followed David.

nice work jamie.

That was the background for the rain and roof fire that followed David.
    Ah so it is, I see now, thanks. I think I'd remove that section completely. The work on it does look good but the framing is just off putting, before and after. If re-doing it with a better framed shot was an option I'd definately say go for that as the work is certainly worthwhile, but otherwise I'd throw it away.

David.

I really appreciate the feedback guys! I'm new on the forums and wasn't sure what would come of it

The only part I thought was a 'pants' was your own logo at the end.... I'm sure you can improve on that.
    That's interesting, I would have said that for the opening title? To be honest I was quite attached to that end credit... But my intention is to continue producing these 'reels' and trying out different start and end titles/credits, because I believe it's an important aspect of editing. So I'm not sticking with that end logo, it was a test; every aspect of the video was a test. In fact I've already prepared one for my next video

What's that first, badly framed, shot of the dull grey sky for?
    Yeah like Andy said, it was simply a before and after, which was my intention of the video. Could you elaborate on what you meant by the badly framed shot? Only because I decided to not focus on the filming but rather the post production itself (haha it's literally filmed 3 ft away from my computer)

Thanks guys for the constructive feed back

It's just a badly framed shot, if used as a normal shot, anything that could be considered as the point of interest sits way down along the bottom edge and the bulk of the screen is taken up by a dull grey nothing.

At first I never even realised it was the same shot, as the after shot almost loses the content of the original completely, but when Andy pointed out what it was, I could then see. To be honest if I'd taken the time to watch it twice I may have noticed.

As the after shot, at first I thought it was a graphic type of thing, I never really realised it had content. The framing of shots and other aspects that are so important to contentual viewing are still important here. Of course thought needs to go into framing VFX shots, expecially taking CGI additions, changes of points of interest etc. in to consideration. I just think this shot lacks all of it. The rain on the glass becomes everything. It does look great, I'm not disputing that. It would make a great background for the DVD menu of a related film, does that help explain what I mean?

I'm looking forward to your next one,

David.

Yeah thanks David, I understand what your getting at now; and I agree now that you've pointed it out.

Basically like I said, the filming wasn't brought into consideration with this shot, but I guess with the lightning one it was, so I know I'm capable; so I'll definitely put more effort into the framing of my future shots instead of just merely throwing some effects into it. And to be honest, that rain on the window was a conscious (but perhaps poor) decision to disguise any blemishes in my compositing, and I thought gave it a nice crystal quality. So I suppose I made the decision to distract the viewer in order to cover my own ass... I guess it worked haha.

Thanks David, I've now got my framing to work on, I'm looking forward to putting up another video, hopefully I can get it up soon enough

The only part I thought was a 'pants' was your own logo at the end....
    oh I believe you mean the very final logo? I originally was thought you meant the sparks one?
    The final logo was a choice I made ages ago to simply match up with my YouTube channel for consistency, I would never be attached to it; if anything I'm trying to attach my name to the new ones i'll be testing out, such as the sparks and welding kinda one just near the end

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast