Thread: Thinking of switching to DSLR

Question Thinking of switching to DSLR

Hi all,

Been a while since I've posted, have been very busy creating web magic, and sorting out a live radio broadcast feed from India to the UK. Broadband in India (or at least this guys region) is not reliable.

Anyway, I digress.

I've had a Canon XL1 for a while now. It's a lovely camera for SD, and I've had it fully serviced and added a lot of extras.

I'm now at the stage where I'm considering moving to a HD format. Because of cost, and I already have a pro Nikon DSLR with 5+ lenses, I'm considering getting a Nikon D7000.

I just wanted to know your thoughts. Is it worth selling up the Canon XL1 and all the extra's, for the Nikon D7000, which I would most likely buy more extra's for to make it usable.

I will be shooting a few independent films this year, plus some interviews with DJ/Producers. That's the kind thing I tend to do more of.

Would love your feedback guys, it is a big decision for me.

Thanks
    Matt

"Given that God is infinite, and that the universe is also infinite... would you like a toasted teacake?"

about.me/mattauckland
    twitter.com/mattauckland

Such a simple Q - yet one that no-one can answer, as DSLRs are getting better month-on-month.

FWIW Nikon don't seem to be as far advanced as Canon . . . . do you need full-frame?

(Incidently, I read that Canon-mount is large enough to take Nikon adaptors - that might help)

From my research, older Nikon lenses ( I have AIS), really don't work with DSLRs - not sure why, or if it's Nikon not being interested in older kit. However, I object to buying new canon, when I have good Nikon doing nothing....Yours are digital-lenses, so these "should" work, maybe hire the 7000 body for a day and give it a try.

IF you find the Ans. - do post it back, here.

Matt, the should I get a DSLR camera, is a question that come up a lot in the forum. I'm sure if you do a search it will bring you more info.

The main thing is, what do you use it for, the sound will need to be recorded seperatly as you could really do with a mic with an XLR input if you intend doing interviews and indi films. So add in the cost of all the extras to make it work for your needs when calculating the cost.

Yay, some replies

Well as far as photography is concerned, I've been a Nikon user for a while, mainly because my dad has since he was a boy (and he's in his late 60's now). He turned pro a few years back, and sometimes I get offered his old lenses he's replacing, or would never use.

Currently I have:-

Nikkor AF-S 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED (bog standard basic lens)
    Nikkor AF 70-210mm 1:4-5.6 (old lens that will only work on the D200 as its a manual lens)
    Nikkor AF-S 17-35mm 1:2.8D ED (Nice lens for general use)
    and finally my fav lens Samyang 8mm 1:3.5 Fish-Eye CS (love this lens, get some excellent effects in clubs, but it is a manual lens)

I've watched some reviews that put the D7000 on par with the Canon 7D, and the D7000 is a lot better than the 60D so people have said. As I'm already a Nikon user, it would be silly to get a Canon anyway.

Being an audio buff the sound on DSLRs is my biggest gripe. But by using a good Rode mic like the Video Mic or Video Mic Pro kit will greatly improve it, plus you can always add a small out broad mixer or recording device. Plus, if like me you use Adobe Premiere and Audition you can always process the audio before edit.

This video demos the Rode Video Mic on a D7000:

In regards to XLR mics, I've been looking at Juiced Link DT454 XLR adapter which would do the job nicely. But the Rode Video Mic and Video Mic Pro are both phantom powered condenser microphones, so should be ideal for every day use. Then as you said Midnight Blue, an XLR mic(s) for film work with an outboard recorder.

I did come accross this really good post and video that Glen McElhose (or Hippy Glen for Diggnation fans) of Revision 3 did about his kit, in which he uses Canon DSLRs.

DirtSalad | Random Dirt Tossed Together Camera Gear Rundown

I hope some of the info I've found will help others. Thanks guys.
    Matt

"Given that God is infinite, and that the universe is also infinite... would you like a toasted teacake?"

about.me/mattauckland
    twitter.com/mattauckland

Oh an it is a done deal, I've decided to sell the Canon XL1. It will be going on ebay with all the extras, including the expensive Porta Brace bag later this week/early next week.

She's been a great camera, and now it has been fully serviced, I'm sure it will be a great camera for someone else too.
    Matt

about.me/mattauckland
    twitter.com/mattauckland