Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What quality of HDV footage can i squeeze onto a standard DVD?

Smile What quality of HDV footage can i squeeze onto a standard DVD?

I need a bit of help understanding HDV and how much space / running time I would get on a standard DVD.

My question is if a get a really good camera say the canon XF100, will I be able to fit an 60-90 mins worth of footage at high quality onto a normal DVD? Or will it require Dual Layer or Blue Ray technology to do that? (my computer cant do that!!).

Basically I want to be able to produce films of about 60-90 mins, at the highest HD quality using my current machine (8GB RAM, Six core processor, Pinnacle studio 14HD). Is it possible to fit that quality onto a normal DVD disc?

Im keen to buy a quality HD camcorder in the next few weeks and would welcome your views. Also, if the storage capacity of the camera is on flash cards or equivalent, does that mean you can insert that into the computer and upload immediately for editing???

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Blog Entries

If you want to give the end user High Def - then you need Blu Ray.

Do a google search for: Bitrate Calculator

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bizz View Post
    Do a google search for: Bitrate Calculator
    Which won't achieve much without knowing what numbers to put in. I re-iterate. If the OP want's to deliver High Definition to his audience, he will need to invest in BluRay as a delivery format.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    Which won't achieve much without knowing what numbers to put in. I re-iterate. If the OP want's to deliver High Definition to his audience, he will need to invest in BluRay as a delivery format.
    Right, that's his choice in the end...

What about for wedding videos? - Not many people have blu-ray players, they will have standard dvd players, so how can I squeeze the highest quality onto a disc? - Buy a dual layer burner and use DL DVDs? - 8.5GB - they won't be big enough for high def will they??

Thanks

What Andy is trying to tell you is that the DVD format doesn't support high definition, if you want to put video on a DVD for viewing on a hardware/set top/stand alone DVD player you will have to down convert it to standard definition, this isn't an option. If you want high definition you'll need to go for Blu-Ray, again with no options.

But there are other options away from set top boxes. You can create a file based video in any definition. This file you can put on anything as long as it physically fits, a CD, a DVD, a Blu-Ray disc a pen drive etc. etc. But it will only play back from a PC, or from a USB port on many newer TV's. To do this you'll need to use a highly compressed codec, and if it's for viewing through USB on a TV then you'll also be limited by which codec.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    What Andy is trying to tell you is that the DVD format doesn't support high definition, if you want to put video on a DVD for viewing on a hardware/set top/stand alone DVD player you will have to down convert it to standard definition, this isn't an option. If you want high definition you'll need to go for Blu-Ray, again with no options.

But there are other options away from set top boxes. You can create a file based video in any definition. This file you can put on anything as long as it physically fits, a CD, a DVD, a Blu-Ray disc a pen drive etc. etc. But it will only play back from a PC, or from a USB port on many newer TV's. To do this you'll need to use a highly compressed codec, and if it's for viewing through USB on a TV then you'll also be limited by which codec.

David.
    Thanks, David....... so, let me get this straight in my head....... Most wedding videographers are using HD cameras at the moment, but the majority of their customers will be ordering standard DVDs for their Wedding Videos (because most don't have Blu-Ray Players). Does this mean their DVD will not really be any better quality than a standard DVD I would produce with my canon XM2 (standard definition)???

If that is the case is there any point in me upgrading to HD camera at the moment??

Thanks for your patience - kind of hard to get my head around.

Quote Originally Posted by Spurano View Post
    Does this mean their DVD will not really be any better quality than a standard DVD I would produce with my canon XM2 (standard definition)???
    If that is the case is there any point in me upgrading to HD camera at the moment??
    Using a HD camera will get you a better final product than using a standard def camera. EVEN if you put the footage on a standard def DVD. It works the same as audio the better the original recording, then the better the final result after editing it etc.
    It's also about getting the best quality at every stage of the process, not just the camera or the editing or the rendering on to what ever media. Also I'm sure there are some skilled camera operators that can produce better footage with a SD camera than I can with my HD camera BUT in the hands of a skilled operator the HD footage would be better quality image than if they had a SD camera.

I hope this rambling gives you some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Using a HD camera will get you a better final product than using a standard def camera. EVEN if you put the footage on a standard def DVD. It works the same as audio the better the original recording, then the better the final result after editing it etc.
    It's also about getting the best quality at every stage of the process, not just the camera or the editing or the rendering on to what ever media. Also I'm sure there are some skilled camera operators that can produce better footage with a SD camera than I can with my HD camera BUT in the hands of a skilled operator the HD footage would be better quality image than if they had a SD camera.

I hope this rambling gives you some ideas.
    Yep that's useful.....but then I'm back to the question of what length of HD footage I could fit onto a standard DVD. Would you get 60 mins worth good HD footage??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast