Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dvd burner will not read any blank dvd disc?!

Default Dvd burner will not read any blank dvd disc?!

hello! :P

I have liteon ldw411s dvd +/-rw burner.
    I have gone through one 50 spindle of shintaro dvd-r and also single dvds here and there such as tdk.
    I have recently bought a new shintaro 50 spindle-the same dvds at which i had previously burnt 50 off.
    I have burnt 24 dvds from this new spindle.

the problem is, now my dvd burner will not read ANY blank dvd disc(shintaro,tdk,princo etc..even though it could before). it can read any burnt dvd/cd or blank cd...but not blank dvds, thus, i cannot burn anything onto dvd!

Can anyone advise on what to do?

i have been to liteon website, downloaded the latest firmware, but they do not have any drivers to download, so i am using windows driver. I have checked master/slave settings (even though everything was fine little while ago) and i have taken out the drive, uninstalled the driver and reinstalled the drive and driver, but to no avail.

Am currently considering buying new drive as my 120gb hdd is now full, leaving 150mb free...annoying...

please help!

thankyou for your time!
    mikool

Blog Entries

Are you sure you have enough temp space available to burn a disc?

yeah, i deleted stuff off my comp. i now have 5gb free... i think sufficient space, but still does not read...

you see, when i insert blanc, the drive sounds like normal for a while then makes the sound of stopping and starting to read the disc, sounds like the laser is moving around...i know sounds normal to hear the laser move around...but this sounds like the laser is bombed out... when you insert a normal dvd and before this problem, this sound was certainly not there.

so i have taken out the drive and connected the power. inserted a blank dvd and heard the weird sound. insert a movie dvd and heard the normal skimming of the laser and dvd...

if you know what i mean...?.... so ocnfused. i htink it is my actual burner... but i just want to check with other opinions incase i waste money to buy a new one when all it is is flick a switch or something...

thanks
    mikool

It does sound like your drive might be faulty.

you haven't flashed the firmware recently have you? Or installed any new drivers etc?
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

what do you mean 'flash' firmware?

as far as I know I havn't done anything?
    mikool

if you don't know what it is, you haven't done it. it's not something you can do by accident.

The chances are the drive's knackered.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    xBox - standard;
    iRiver h340;

naclered eh?... so i should get a new one?

...i have started to consider this option already... however, i am stuck on the decision to get an external for use with laptop and desktop or get internal and use ipod to transfer to desktop...any thoughts?

...any other ideas on how to fix my liteon? or it is knackered for sure?... :cry: gonna miss that baby...

thanks for the help man
    mikool

err... buy an internal. and buy a crossover cable to transfer files.
    xBox - standard;
    iRiver h340;

man my burner's weird...
    I changed the date on my pc to skip around a trial program, all of a sudden my burner is working! i have burnt off 6 dvds tonight and still going... but not every disc is being read in between...ie... i have to try atleast 10 discs before it ercognises one of them...!
    yay!

but am still considering getting a new one... i really don't want to go through this again...

what are cross-over cables for file transfer?

at the moment i am using ipod... burns battery and seings though i only have 16gb free out of my 40...it takes a while to transfer all my stuff...
    suggestion?
    mikool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast