Thread: How do you use "quicktime compresion" in sony vegas?

Default How do you use "quicktime compresion" in sony vegas?

Have been asked to send in a few short boxing training videos I shot to a tv production company.

The problem is they have asked me to send it in "quicktime compresion H.264"

I had a look on my Sony Vegas 9 and could not find this option.

I dont want to phone the production company back because it gives the impression I dont know what the f$%k I am doing which to a certain point is true.

Any body got any ideas?

I don't have a yes or no answer for you. I think the official Sony Vegas answer is no, it is not supported. However the world is not black and white but many shades of grey. If you render in an AVC format making a .mp4 file this uses, as I understand it, the H.264 codec. While technically not a Quicktime wrapper if you change the file extension from .mp4 to .mov it's probably as good.

I hope someone else can check this as it's just info I've got from the internet and not my own practise.

I hope this helps in some way.

I dont use Vegas but If you render your project out in whatever codec Vegas uses, you can use a program like Mpeg streamclip to convert it to whatever codec you need. It's a free download and I use it all the time: Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I don't have a yes or no answer for you. I think the official Sony Vegas answer is no, it is not supported. However the world is not black and white but many shades of grey. If you render in an AVC format making a .mp4 file this uses, as I understand it, the H.264 codec. While technically not a Quicktime wrapper if you change the file extension from .mp4 to .mov it's probably as good.

I hope someone else can check this as it's just info I've got from the internet and not my own practise.

I hope this helps in some way.
    Thanks for the reply.

I have had a look online myself and from what I can work out you can use it with an MP4.But from what I understand that is not the best quality for tv work.

What considered the best way to compress a file that is to be used for tv I suppose is the question.

Does the TV company have a web page that explains what formats they need to work with. I know it can be different for different companies. This is not an area I have any experience with. I know Digital TV is transmitted on an mpeg2 transport stream but by the sound of it they are not broadcasters, just a production company. If they want Quicktime, I would imagine they are Mac users and want compatibility with their Apple Macs, FCP etc. So something along that lines should be ok.

Don't be worried about phoning them to ask their tech people what is really needed. If you explain you use a PC based system and feel the quality would not be good enough for them if you produce what they have asked for, they may have other formats that will be better for both of you.

Older vegas versions can be a pain concerning quicktime, what version do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by bizz View Post
    Older vegas versions can be a pain concerning quicktime, what version do you have?
    I use sony pro 9

Vegas 10 solves a lot of these troubles.