Thread: Advice please, Cam for Snowarding ( not a headcam) ?

1. Default Advice please, Cam for Snowarding ( not a headcam) ?

I'm off snowboarding and wanted a camcorder to take with me.

I was thinking of a nice cheap on, that is good for catching action, jumps etc.

I didn't want a headcam as want to add fisheye lense, carry in the hand and I think it may have better quality with larger lenses, chips etc.
    (also if you have a camera strapped to your head, you never end up in shot).

So can anyone recommend a small, cam, good for fast action, good for light levels you get in snow, both bright sunshine, white outs and grey days.
    With the ability to add lenses/filters (handy for keeping snow off lense)
    Good anti shock
    Small for hand

and Cheap
    If I like it, I will probably upgrade for next year to a serious one, so was thinking 300 or sub (If I don't like it, then not as much money lost and maybe a headcam)

Any and all advice welcome.
    p.s. very last min as off on hol Sunday

Yeah the GoProHD is quite a popular choice for extreme sports these days, I know a couple of people who use them because the picture quality is very nice and they are versatile.

I would most definetly recommend the GoPro HD Hero. you can find some sample footage at their homepage. A bad thing that i have myself discovered is shooting on a sunny day with lots of snow in the picture (no trees in the background) shades on the snow are visible unless you use really high equaliser in the editing part.

4. Default

Hi Guys
    Thanks for the posts.

i've been looking at headcams, but until my friends buy them as well, I'll hold back.
    Don't want to spend so much on a device which will most likely end up film them, as attached to my helmet.

Thus i've bought a Sanyo Xacti VPC-FH1 and a fisheye lense. Got that type as you can screw on filters and extra lenses. Also quite cheapish, so if can sell on if I get a headcam.

Looking at the Contour GPS for the shape and size (so not wearing large box on top of head) and also the gps gimick...

enjoyed this thread. i love snow boarding!

get vertical leap project