Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer

Default Trailer

Hey all,

Decided to cut another trailer for my new short film 'Three.' It shows a little bit more of the film itself (as our previous teaser, as posted on here, was very vague). The music track used is also part of the film.

We shot on a Sony Z1 with a Redrock Micro 35mm adaptor. Having just upgraded to a Panasonic AG-AF101 this will be the last time we use this kit.

I'm just about to start working on the sound now so hopefully we will be completed soon! Let me know what you think? Warning to sensitive people - there is one use of the f word (or f bomb).

Cheers,

Jim
    Last edited by Fingercuff; 03-01-2011 at 02:29 PM.
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Nice one Jim. Look forward to seeing it.

Looks very, very, very good.

But as a trailer - I don't feel that compelled to watch your video. You see, audiences are pulled in by character's and their goals. That's how a story works - it's all about what we call the dramatic question. Usually this is set up by a premise...what IS going to happen next, or what HAS happened (especially with Non-linear-films.)
    Your trailer only makes me wonder what is going on - but that's not enough to illicit my interest, I'm afraid. So if you can explicitly state a character's goal or need, and hook us in emotionally (I emphasise this ), then you'll have us hooked.

Who is the main character? Do I care about them? What's their story, and am I going to invest time to find out if they succeed or fail? However as it is - it's a great demonstration of your technical skills. It would make a good portfolio entry.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Midnight - I'll post you a copy when complete

Spiral - I think the difficulty is that's a largely dialogue free film that lasts just over 10 mins. You have seen nearly 10% of it in this 1 trailer. I was very careful as I didn't want to be vague but I also didn't want to spoil the plot (or plots as there are 3 main characters, each with a separate story) within the trailer. If I showed anything else or putting more dialogue in then it would certainly remove any surprise from the finished article. I 100% agree with your points though (certainly in respects to feature trailers as well) and accept that my trailer isn't a trailer in the classic sense - I never really intended to do a one for the film as it would possibly not work however I had a 'late night bout of creativity' and this was the result! Thanks for the post!
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

But as a trailer - I don't feel that compelled to watch your video.
    I don't know! at first the trailer did seem a bit emty of content to me too, but I think the characters facial expressions portray an unkown entity that carries through. Doesn't it leave you wanting to know what it is that's on their mind?

David.

Thats exactly right David, I've seen Jim's work before and this trailer shows a great "flavor" of the movie will be, for a short movie you can't really ask any more. I think it shows just enough to get you thinking, what's it all about and wanting to know more. What else can you ask of a trailer/promo etc. Spirals points are valid but like Jim said we've already seen over 10% of the movie.

If you look at a lot of the Hollywood movie trailers, especially for action movies, when you've seen the trailer you've seen the best bits of the movie. So what you go and pay to see is just the filler bits between the trailers best bits. With a short movie it's much harder to make a trailer without giving away the whole thing. To be honest I liked his first trailer as it created a mystery and really made me want to know what was it all about. BUT may be thats just because I'm a big fan of his work.

Ah right. Well fair 'nuff then

Blog Entries

Spiral makes a valid point, though I think a trailer can be made to work by intrigue about the plot alone.

My view when seeing it for the first time (which i did without reading any comments) was I was initially intrigued but then let down as little happened to increase my intrigue - and I got a little "fed up" watching it as, knowing it was a trailer, I knew I wasn't going to get the story revealed, but I wasn't really getting anything new from it (so after the inital intrigue, I wasn't going to learn anything).

I'd suggest cut from 0:29 (so we get the dialogue and we get the caption - "changed forever") straight to 0:50 - the shot of Ben looking around and the gun being removed from the bag and the stronger beat music and cast list. So we end up with just more than 30 secs of unrelated, but intriguing plot snippets & captions, followed by the producton credits and "recap" shots of the three main characters. That would work for me.

The alternative, is a voice over covering the 30s-49s period. I can imagine a BBC trailer filling this with something along the lines of "Coming this Spring, a new four part drama from Lynda La Plante ....." or similar, though filling 20 secs of this for a 10 min film might be tricky!

Incidentally, whilst I'm the biggest whinger about the overuse of extreme shallow depth of field and focus pulling, I thought the shot at around 0:10 was a perfect example of when and how rack focus should be used - I presume I don't need to explain why it fits so well.
    Tim

I've got a bit of a messed up view on trailers. I like nothing more than sitting down to watch a film with absolutely no knowlege of what I'm about to watch. I end up watching a lot of crap to be honest, but the diamonds that shine through are the shiniest diamonds ever. It all came from when I watched "A Beautiful Mind" with absolutely no knowlege of the ture story or even that it was a true story. It blew me away and to this day it is the best film I ever seen in my life. For me it had something that anyone knowing the background never got.

On the other side of the spectrum, I seen the trailer for "I am Legend", quickly rushed out to the pictures to see it, and wished I'd only ever seen the trailer.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    I don't know! at first the trailer did seem a bit emty of content to me too, but I think the characters facial expressions portray an unkown entity that carries through. Doesn't it leave you wanting to know what it is that's on their mind?

David.
    Nah. Not really. Reaction shots cannot be the sole way to sell a film. It's exactly like pitching your film to executives! Telling them "there's a lot of emotion in the film, but you can't know the story" is just not gonna cut it. Cynical as that is. You gotta hit them with the premise, or some sense of plot in order to contextualise and ground that emotion - or else it's just lost on us...Is this a story about an officer worker who confronts a drug gang? Is this a girl who loses an important package? Is this about a model replica gun that gets passed around between three people - and it's all about the gun and its use? Ground all the reactions in context. I stand by my firm belief that it requires the premise, or a dramatic question. You can get away with that if you're doing a teaser trailer - which is different...that's teasing after all.

At present, I don't empathise, or sympathise with anyone. The situation is too obscure. Maybe Tim's right. You need a voice over, or isolate one or two particular characters and show us how they are victimised (their situation), and declare through images, dialogue or voice over what they want to do about it..."I'm going to stop this..." End.

Buy it does get across the tone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast