Thread: what's a good video format for working on the timeline?

1. Default what's a good video format for working on the timeline?

I am getting a bit confused as have read lots of advice. I have read some saying you can use .mov that was rendered using photojpg codec or Avid(DnxHD). Others have said Vegas doesnt like working with MOV files. So should I just work with .avi format and DV rendered? Does vegas work ok on the timeline with h264 avi ?
    what do you guys use? My original source is not high quality HD but from a sony hi8 tape

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elwoodetubes View Post
    My original source is not high quality HD but from a sony hi8 tape
    So should I just work with .avi format and DV rendered?
    Absolutely.
    avi. (DVSD - the standard MiniDV codec) no question.

Render your edit to DV. This will give you the best quality master. Then import that into a new project for rendering to different formats if required.
    Tim

3. Default

thanks, so far I have tried converting the oringinal from the camcorder( that was captured with picvideo MJPG codec) to .MOV with the photojpg codec, it does seem to react well on the timeline but I read elsewhere that DV is easier for vegas. I will use DV from now on then. thanks

Blog Entries

DV is easier for just about all NLEs. It's compressed only at frame level (ie the compression does not rely on frames before or after). More highly compressed formats (such as mov, all the consumer HD formats, use more CPU "grunt" and uncomressed causes problems with tranfer to and from har drives because of the sheer volume.
    Tim

5. Default

thanks, although I cant see any difference in performance when scrubbing through the timeline with a DV file or one encoded with MOV (photojpg codec). I suppose its cos photojpg is also compressing at individual frame level? maybe its using more cpu power, havent noticed

Blog Entries

Indeed, photo Jpeg has "no temporal compression", at least according to Codec Central - Photo-JPEG Codec. It also may be that your cpu is more than capable of coping.
    Tim

What you want to look into is the difference between a codec and a container. As you describe this, MOV and AVI are containers holding all the video and audios coding information together.

It may help to realise that "AVI" stands for "Audio Video Interleave" and was an early microsoft method of tying the audio and video together conveniently in the same file, and MOV was the mac equivelent.

To summerize the codec aspect; this is the method used to compress the infomation needed to make up the images and later uncompress it for viewing.

Jpeg is a still image compression method that compresses the information using a mathematical equation relating to the numerical values of the pixels and how they relate to their neighbouring pixels. The large number of values can be compressed into an equation, and a file, which can later be worked out (instantly) when needed for viewing.

Mpeg goes further. It does the same thing, but also looks at how the pixels, or the equations representing groups of neighbouring pixles, relate to similar areas on neighbouring frames.

The codec can remove information from the image, or sequence, by mathematical means. As long as the codec knows the mathematics behind the removal it knows how to put the information back together perfectly on play back.

This is where the difference between lossless and lossy codecs come in. A lossless codec can "gauranteed" put that information back as it was, a lossy codec compromises and does the best job it can favouring file size (compression) over reconstruction.

If you are working with any form of standard definition video (other than the few high bit rate pro formats that you don't need to wory about) you should convert to DV 25 as recomended already.

But both MOV and AVI, as containers, can hold vieo compressed with the DV codec, as to whether Sony Vegas handles DV video wrapped in an AVI container different than in an MOV container I don't know, But I would be surprised if it did.

The DV codec is rock solid. The day that the averge pc can deal with the HD equivalent of the DV codec is the day I look forward to. And even more relevant, the day the price of HD cameras that work with that equivelent comes down to a comparable level, well probably never to be honest.

David.

8. Default

thanks , I did know about the mov, avi being a container. I plan on using the DV codec I was just interested in how I come across people saying how bad vegas is with mov files, and they dont mention that some mov files are fine depending on the codec used.

Quote Originally Posted by elwoodetubes View Post
    I am getting a bit confused as have read lots of advice. I have read some saying you can use .mov that was rendered using photojpg codec or Avid(DnxHD). Others have said Vegas doesnt like working with MOV files. So should I just work with .avi format and DV rendered? Does vegas work ok on the timeline with h264 avi ?
    what do you guys use? My original source is not high quality HD but from a sony hi8 tape
    It depends on your output project...Define this (not vice versa) and drop your files (no matter what source or codec)
    on the timeline.