Thread: Gloucester Cathedral - DSLR Short

Default Gloucester Cathedral - DSLR Short

Just a short I put together yesterday for a school project. I've been to this amazing building countless times but never bothered to capture it.

It was shot on a 7D with 28-135 and 30mm lens. All hand-held... I could've done with a tripod but couldn't fit one in my bag!

Thanks for looking! C&C welcome.

Some nice shots. Yes a tripod would have helped with some of the shots. I noticed that you did a lot of pans, it's fine to have some in a piece like this but I would cut down on some of them. I felt the editing didn't quite work for me in that it didn't seem to take us on a journey through the building. In parts it even took us outside then in side again for no apparent reason. A good mix of shots though and great choice of music .

Well done.

Blog Entries

All Midnight's points are good. You've cut it together with a sympathetic ear for the music and I suspect that without the music it would not work at all.

The point about taking us on a journey is a particularly important one. I liked the penumtimate shot very much and I wish you'd had the courage to finish on that rather than going to an exterior shot - though i appreciate why you felt the need to revert to an exterior wide (ish) shot.

A tripod would have helped but I thought you did a very good job with the handheld pand & tilts.

Being critical of an area I am not at all practiced in, I thought the execution of some of the focus pulls was a bit dodgy - this is where a tripod would definitely help. I thought you used them well and, unusually for nowadays, didn't annoy me by overuse. One shot which didn't fit (for me) was
    at about 1:16 where you have the foreground bush leaves in focus and the cathedral in the background - you never swapped focus and I don't understand why. It wasn't as if it was an interesting busH!

Anyway, unusually for me for this sort of thing, I enjoyed this film. As I'm working on a project myself about a building, I'm ratehr interested in different approaches.
    Tim

Thanks both for the feedback!

I'm glad you pointed out the lack of a journey in the editing, as it didn't cross my mind. The shots were more of less chronological as was walking in/out of the building. It's something to think about next time