Thread: Sony Vegas MS HD Plat 10 - gap between 1st and 2nd video clips!

Default Sony Vegas MS HD Plat 10 - gap between 1st and 2nd video clips!

I am using Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10, but I had a similar issue with version 9 (same product). I have a recurring project, where I add about 4-20 short (2-3 second) video clips to a project (the clips are 800x600, avi). I have preferences set to automatically place the video clips in order, without overlapping (no Auto Crossfade).

The problem is when I render - I usually render to WMV 3mbps (640x480). After a few frames, the render will 'pause' for a second or two, and my computer fan (this happens on core i7 desktop & core i7 laptop - both 8GB ram) will whir up, then the render will complete. But when I view the rendered video (Windows media player, or other), there is almost ALWAYS a brief flicker/blank screen between clips 1 and 2. No other flicker generally occurs between other clips.

When I preview the video in Vegas, it does not usually show this flicker. When I super zoom into the timeline, there is generally a very small, fraction of a second (<1 frame) gap between the video clips (but this is on all clips, and the flicker only occurs between clip 1 and 2).

I suspect this has something to do with the computer 'revving up' to do the render, creating a blank frame between clips, but I can't seem to figure out how to fix this. Any ideas??

Before going down the route of the way PCs render, please read on.

You haven't stated that you haven't got gaps to start with. Yes, I read about your preferences, but are you sure you have no gaps? Also, do any of your Events have black at the beginning or end?

Thanks for the quick response. I'll be a little more detailed about what I'm doing. The clips have a generally black background, with grayscale ultrasound images. Let's say I have 4 clips I want to bring together in a video. I will actually make a copy of the clips on my hard drive (so I can make each clip double length without manually extending each one in Vegas), then highlight all clips, then drag them into Sony Vegas - so it will be on a video track as:
    1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1, 3-2, 4-1, 4-2

The black gap usually appears between 1-1 and 1-2 (but not 1-2 to 2-1, etc).

he clips themselves do not have a completely black screen. There are no apparent gaps on the timeline, but if you zoom all the way in to the frame level, there is a TINY (<1 frame) gap between ALL of the clips (not just 1-1 to 1-2). T

My thought is this tiny gap is not really the problem, as the black flash does not appear with all of the gaps.

My impression is that it has something to do when I start rendering, and the computer has to 'rev up' (maybe engage all the threads/cores????) - I think this rev up causes the black flash I see in the rendered video.

Thanks for your assistance!

It's about time you submitted a screengrab of what you are describing, so we all may see what you are experiencing.