Thread: Newbie needs help Sony Vegas 9 Pro Scene it Trivia type video

Question Newbie needs help Sony Vegas 9 Pro Scene it Trivia type video

Hi All, Please excuse my lack of knowledge and terminology. I'm planning a camp out and outside movie for my daughter this late spring. For a preshow I would like to make up a trivia type video sort of like "Sceneit Games" use. A question left on screne for 10 - 15 seconds then a 15 - 20 second type of countdown with possibly jeopardy music. The 20 seconds would give kids chance to yell out answers. At end of count down orginal question wouls show up with correct answer in Bold, different color and some sort of fanfare music left on screne again for 10 - 15 seconds. then so on. Questions could be on upcoming movie or funny ones that would be personalized for the kids. I hope I explained it well. It just seems something kids would enjoy. I'm not even sure how to write questions or any other part I described. Thank you for any suggestions. Kerry

Blog Entries

Piece of cake. Much quicker to knock up a veg and send it to you than to try to explain. Unfortunately Vegas Pro 10 (which I'm running) veggies are not compatable with version 9 so I can't.
    Anyway here's one way of doing it (all on one video track):
    Generated text media with the text of your question (and, if required, multiple choice answers) lasting 15-20 secs
    Then 15 or 20 generated text media clips, each lasting exactly one second with a number on . 20, 19, 18 ....down to 3, 2, 1.
    Then make a copy of the original text media - the one with the question with the answer in capitals. Or you could select the answer only and change its font size.

OK. Let's make it a little more interesting.
    In the second example I've used two tracks. Track 2 is as above except that the final text has the correct answer missing.
    You've guessed it, the correct answer only is on track 1, which means I can play around with it a little. I've "animated" it to the extent I've changed the font size a few times to draw attention to it.

That's the basics. Now add video, music, different colours fonts etc ...

The following took me about 3 minutes (plus a further 3 looking for some vaguely appropriate music)

Tim

Thats good Tim but I think it would be good to keep the question on the screen during the countdown. I would make the countdown semi transparent on a track above and a different colour so you can see both at the same time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Thats good Tim but I think it would be good to keep the question on the screen during the countdown. I would make the countdown semi transparent on a track above and a different colour so you can see both at the same time.
    Agreed. Though that wasn't in the project specification.
    Tim

Thank you very much, that is close to what I hoped for, I think it would be nice to have question stay up with count down as suggested, How could I do what you did? with that change. Agin thank you for your work. I would have replied sooner but caught the flu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    I think it would be nice to have question stay up with count down as suggested, How could I do what you did? with that change.
    Either:
    Single track method:
    You need lots of text media: Each one has the question - the first has only that, the others have the question and a number of seconds remaining (eg "Why did the chicken cross the road? - 10", "Why did the chicken cross the road? - 9" etc) Each of the questions with the number of seconds remains on the timeline for exactly one second. The disadvantage of this method is you then have to create 11 or 16 or 21 (depending on whether 10 secs, 15 secs or 20 secs) text media clips for each question - too much like hard work!

So:

Double track method:
    Place the question on one track and lay it out so there is plenty of space below (or above) the question for a countdown number.
    Place the text media with the numbers in (aligned so the number is below (or above) the question) on the track above. Ensure this text media is text on a transparent background.

You can simply keep copying the countdown sequence (and copy with "Create a reference to the original media" - this will make it easier if you change, say, a font) and you'll only need two copies of each question - one for teh question itsel and one for the answer.

Good luck.
    Tim

Thank you very much! I now have a general idea how to do it